The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 AM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough
Default Albies whats the basic suggestions?

fished for albies the 1st time saturday in Marthas Vineyard,, seen 2 caught and they where there but not hitting what I was throwing so i wanted to see what the basic's for these things where.

I was throwing a 350gr sharkskin streamer express and throwing the entire line up to the backing knot ( I know I was making it to the fish) I had a small 1" brownish closer type flie that looked something like a shrimp pattern but it was recommended by the local shop but I wasn't feeling it when I was buying this

i was trying different strips from double handed fast to 2' single strips..

can someone recommend the basics that works for them,, what fly Pattern -retrieve- how to land the cast (in front, over and behind, or blind cast) what depth under the water--> anything I missed?

going back in 2 weeks plus I have a guided trip for them soon in RI and I'd like to get one of these where I have yet to hook one BUT saturday was my first time strictly throwing for albies.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Albies whats the basic suggestions?

I've only fished for them off the North Carolina coast when they are busting bait on top. We head for the birds picking off the bait who are trying to escape the albies chasing them.
In cases like that an intermediate line like the Cortland 'Lil Tuny and a fly to match the bait that is busting works.
In the bait balls all you have to really do is present the fly, for the albies I've caught anyhow. You'll know when they hit!
I've had most of my success using small Gummy Minnows to match the glass minnows they're chompin' on when we're out there.
I'm by no means an expert but have had a go at them for a few days every fall since about 2002. What a hoot and what a fast, hard hitting fish!
Shouldn't the blues and stripers be out in R.I. about now?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm far from consistent at this, but in my opinion when they're not showing on top you use a sinking line and a fast retrieve. For breaking fish you want to keep the fly in the strike zone as long as possible. So a floating line and just enough retrieve to give the fly some action.
You have to almost "guess" when and where they're going to show. They always swim in straight line when feeding so that gives you a clue
I fish from a kayak so I watch for a pattern, then pick a spot, sit and blind cast keeping my fly in the strike zone as long as possible. I stay away from the "run and gun" madness and that works for me.

I fish eastern Long Island Sound and "match the hatch" when it comes to flies and that's usually peanut bunker, anchovies, or sometimes butterfish. Around the Cape and Islands you'll see more sandeels
For the wide body flies I use a basic High-Tie of craft fur. The high-tie and the high-low are the forerunners of what many people call EP style flies now
http://www.neflyrodders.org/index.ph...d=21&Itemid=12

For the anchovy I use a small fly with a chrystal chenille body and a craft fur tail. Very much like the marabou estaz or crystal schminnow snook fly. that they use in Florida
http://hffa.net/?p=389

This season I plan on tying up some of the EZ Zonkers like at the top of this page. They seem to be the popular fly of the year
Flies - False Albacore, Skipjack, and Bonito at BEARSDEN.COM

Here's some good information from local author Ed Mitchell who knows much more than I
http://www.flyroddingthecoast.com/Ar...g%20Albies.pdf

Last edited by Rip Tide; 09-13-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:26 PM

Tajue17 will become famous soon enough

thanks for the tips, and I'm finding the same thing as I look around and ask in other forums, it comes down to if they are hitting basically anything thrown in front of them they should take and if its something pretty obscure then strip it as fast as possible.

as for minnows I have a couple of those crystal minnows and i have those zonker strip flys too so at least now i know,, plus I did learn that if they are hitting on top throw a intermediate,, i was originally told to keep it in 6-8' of water but that makes sense if I'm only blind casting.

thanks for the help. T
Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM

albiechaser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I'm far from consistent at this, but in my opinion when they're not showing on top you use a sinking line and a fast retrieve. For breaking fish you want to keep the fly in the strike zone as long as possible. So a floating line and just enough retrieve to give the fly some action.
You have to almost "guess" when and where they're going to show. They always swim in straight line when feeding so that gives you a clue
I fish from a kayak so I watch for a pattern, then pick a spot, sit and blind cast keeping my fly in the strike zone as long as possible. I stay away from the "run and gun" madness and that works for me.

I fish eastern Long Island Sound and "match the hatch" when it comes to flies and that's usually peanut bunker, anchovies, or sometimes butterfish. Around the Cape and Islands you'll see more sandeels
For the wide body flies I use a basic High-Tie of craft fur. The high-tie and the high-low are the forerunners of what many people call EP style flies now
Synthetic Hi-Tie

For the anchovy I use a small fly with a chrystal chenille body and a craft fur tail. Very much like the marabou estaz or crystal schminnow snook fly. that they use in Florida
March 2006 Fly of the Month ? Marabou Estaz Fly [Paul Dinice] HFFA.NET

This season I plan on tying up some of the EZ Zonkers like at the top of this page. They seem to be the popular fly of the year
Flies - False Albacore, Skipjack, and Bonito at BEARSDEN.COM

Here's some good information from local author Ed Mitchell who knows much more than I
http://www.flyroddingthecoast.com/Ar...g%20Albies.pdf
WOW that was an awesome read on Albie's been chasing them for over 10 years here in Harkers Island, and thought I knew alot about them.
but this read sure put the cap on alot of ?s Ive had,
Thanks for the post,
good fishing