The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice
Default Christmas Isl. Bonefish

Just spoke with Kevin over at Nervous Water. He reports lots of bone fish action on the shallow flats. We're talking 4 inches of water on bright white sand flats for as far as the eye can see. There the fish ranged from 12 to 24 inches in size. (I think that's about 1 to 4 pounds. Thousands and thousands of bone fish.he told me to take my 5 and 6 weight rods if I liked that kind of action. His 8wt with 8 pouns test tippit workde find but he also likes smaller tackle.

On the deeper flats there were bigger bones. Up to 12 pounds, but the light 8 pound test couldn't stop their runs into the deep water and sharp coral.

There were ulua and papio (G.T.... Giant Trevalle) all over the place. Action for the G.T. was especially good at the tide changes ans the current ran past Cook Island at the mough of the lagoon. Kevins largest fish weighed 26 pounds and the largest in his group weighed 48. You devinatly need a 10 to 12 weight fly rod or heavy spinning tackle for those big boys. The papio, that's a G.T. under 10 pounds , were all over the place and hitting any kind of lure or fly.

Just out side the lagoon, the birds were feeding over a huge schoool of 20 pound yellow fin tuna. Again, any lure or fly drew strikes.

Kevin assured me there are still lots of fish and they would even hit those ugly flys that i tye...... I'm going in August, can't wait.

Aloha,
Stan
Old 07-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Christmas Isl. Bonefish

Sounds like great fun. Thought I'd post a pic of a Giant Trevally for those who haven't ever seen one. They are related to the "jack" family and one of the largest of the Trevallys.

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Cliff... where did you get this pic of me and my Trevally??? Did I mention that I landed him on a 2wt with 6x tippet???

Old 07-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Steve might be a hundred miles away, but I can smell that BS from here.

Mike, can you?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.