I want to catch a big striped bass

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I love the dialogue!

"I have a big Van Staal..."

"...you had much better luck of catching an STD while in college, and that was an all male university."

Last edited:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Classic--- great stuff --- love it (and what great technology)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've said it before and will repeat myself again, if Rip Tide doesn't now about it then I don't need to know. You are a funny guy Paul, did you write that dialog?

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Amen Ard, Paul is the man. That clip is very funny-- (but now that fall is here and the stripers are moving down the coast, it did hit a little close to home.....)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You're still a funny guy Rip, I seldom watch YouTube stuff here but something told me to view that one and I liked it a bunch. It was my kind of humor.

rickf

Reaction score
So funny!! LMAO!! But the writer is a little off with the tackle.
The 10' rods have been replaced with 7' St Croix rods and the big Van Staal reels have been replaced with Shimano Stradics. Most still use Power Pro (only 15 or 20) with a flouro leader...... and Korkers!! for the slippery rocks.
The 50 lb'ers are only caught "chunkin" these days. "Chunking" simply means anchoring a boat in deeper water and fishing heavy terminal tackle with bunker heads on 10/0 hooks above a 8 oz sinker. They wait for a "run off" and set the hook!!
I catch lots of small stripers, even with a fly rod, but you won't catch the big 50 lb'ers on lures from the beach.
Still, very funny. I hope the cartoon character would have enough courage to follow the striper migration down the coast.
One last point: the character can't go because he has to support his nagging wife and screaming kids. A fishing adventure like that is only good for the single or divorced guys to enjoy!! That's the way it should be though. If all the hen pecked married guys went fishing all the time..... it would be too crowded for us guys that really love to fish!
I also found great humor with the nagging wife telling the timid character not to go fishing and go to work tomorrow. LOL He should go to work and pay a lot of taxes to support guys like me that fish all the time!!
So funny to me in several ways!!
Thanks for posting

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The 10' rods have been replaced with 7' St Croix rods and the big Van Staal reels have been replaced with Shimano Stradics. Most still use Power Pro (only 15 or 20) with a flouro leader...... and Korkers!! for the slippery rocks.
The 50 lb'ers are only caught "chunkin" these days. "Chunking" simply means anchoring a boat in deeper water and fishing heavy terminal tackle with bunker heads on 10/0 hooks above a 8 oz sinker. They wait for a "run off" and set the hook!!
I catch lots of small stripers, even with a fly rod, but you won't catch the big 50 lb'ers on lures from the beach.
Here in southern New England, surf casting with 10' rods and plugs is practically an art form. To say that you can't catch a "50" from the beach with lures is inaccurate at the very least. A local surf caster from Rhode Island called Iron Mike is good for multiple '50s' every year with a '60' thrown in once in a while for good measure
I myself have landed a '40' from the beach on the fly (once:p)
It takes persistence and skills, but to say it can't be done is wrong

The lure in the picture is a Hab's Needlefish, Mike's favorite

Last edited:

rickf

Reaction score
Rip,
That's good news for me to hear. I stand corrected!
Down here in NJ the Del bay is always so dirty, the only big bass to catch are on dead bunker heads. Even the Chesapeake they use plugs on wire lines, but not in the D Bay!! With the overpopulated Phila, the Del Bay has become a big smelly cesspool!
Along the north Jersey coast I catch small schoolies on flies and plugs. Most there use clams on long surf sticks for a little bit bigger bass.
I try my expensive 9' big plug rod for as long as I can take it ..... then grab my freshwater 7'er with small lures to catch a couple before I head home!!

Pocono

Reaction score
Unreal! That really does hit home. Thanks for the post.

........why do I associate with the Japanese bear in the green and white shirt!?!

........I have to catch a 50 lb. Striped Bass.......I have to catch a 50 lb. Striped Bass........I have to catch a 50 lb. Striped Bass....... :rolleyes:

Pocono