The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Best 8wt Saltwater Line? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/5360-best-8wt-saltwater-line.html)

Black Bart 07-18-2008 10:52 AM

Best 8wt Saltwater Line?

Hi fellas, I'm new to saltwater fly fishing but have been freshwater fly fishing since I was a kid. I just recently moved to Fort Lauderdale and have decided to get into bonefish. I just bought a Sage Xi2 9ft-8wt rod and an Abel 3n reel. What would be the best Floating and a Sinking line to use for Bonefish, Snook, Lt Tarpon, Freshwater Bass,(Striped Bass as well) Etc....I really appreciate your help. Best Wishes, BB

bonefish41 07-20-2008 08:34 PM

Re: Best 8wt Saltwater Line?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bart (Post 32865)
Hi fellas, I'm new to saltwater fly fishing but have been freshwater fly fishing since I was a kid. I just recently moved to Fort Lauderdale and have decided to get into bonefish. I just bought a Sage Xi2 9ft-8wt rod and an Abel 3n reel. What would be the best Floating and a Sinking line to use for Bonefish, Snook, Lt Tarpon, Freshwater Bass,(Striped Bass as well) Etc....I really appreciate your help. Best Wishes, BB

You got the right reel and rod...line for FLA floating Cortland Tropic Plus...RIO Tropical Clouser better in the wind than their Bonefish IMHO

Black Bart 07-21-2008 08:15 AM

Thanks Bonefish41, I really appreciate your help? Are you using regular dacron backing or any of the newer braided lines? I've never really had to worry about it in the past, New England trout rarely get to it!! Thanks Again, BB

Frank Whiton 07-21-2008 08:42 AM

Hi Bonefish41,

Where have you been? Haven't seen you post for a couple of months.

Black Bart,

Bonefish has given you good info. The Cortland Tropic Plus is an excellent line. You did do a good job on the rod and reel. Later you might want to pick up a Super 6 spool and have a real nice large arbor. The Super series is a little on the heavy size but it is not a problem on salt water weight rods.

Frank

bonefish41 07-21-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Bart (Post 33020)
Thanks Bonefish41, I really appreciate your help? Are you using regular dacron backing or any of the newer braided lines? I've never really had to worry about it in the past, New England trout rarely get to it!! Thanks Again, BB

I use 65 lb power pro on my 3N with 9 wt RIO Tropical clouser on a home built TCR blank...put more and thinner backing so that you will have the effect of a larger spool diameter when the line is out and you are into the backing as an example only not actually tested...say after the line is out and thereafter in an 1/8 in spool depth with dacron you have 25 yards but with 50 or 65 braid you have 75 yards ...those line are stiff cored for use in the heat of FLA...

Black Bart 07-21-2008 07:04 PM

Thanks for all of the advise. I really appreciate it!! Hopefully I'll have a few pics to post in the next couple of weeks!!

Flats Guide 08-18-2008 08:19 AM

I fish pretty shallow so I don't have any favorite intermediate or sinking lines to recommend, but for floating lines I use Rio's Outbound and Airflo's Ridge Bonefish line.

Both are great casting lines.