The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 08:05 PM

RavenIM9 is on a distinguished road
Default newb to bonefish

Hey guys my names Robb and Im a first time poster here. I live in North East Ohio in the heart of steelhead alley and I am an avid steelhead,salmon and trout fishermen.Im currently going to school for ecotourism and adventure travel part of my degree is to spend a quarter a Forfar the schools camp on Andros Island in the Bahamas. ALthough I mainly centre pinI have experience fly fishing but nothing like what is done for bonefish the closest Ive probabally come to that is stripping big streamers at river mouths for fresh run chrome steelhead. Otherwise my fly fishing experience is limited to indicator fishing.But Im really interested in fly fishing for bones as many regard it as the ultime experience. Im already caught huge lake run browns first fish ever was 15 lbs now Im really interested in catching bone fish while Im down there. I will be down there starting the begginning of January for six weeks.

My questions are this Im looking for a nice rod for relatively cheap but something that is worth the money as well as a nice reel. I wouldnt mind spending 400 bucks for a rod and reel set up. Also whats a good line?Any flies that I should know about?

I also plan to spin fish for them so any techniques and tactis I should know about? What r some good plastic baits for bonefish?

Im interested in fishing for everything. My friends who went last year said theyre are bonefish all over the place and their easy to catch.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: newb to bonefish

Hey Robb,

Welcome to the forum.

you can start off with a 9wt. or 10wt.

TFO makes a great rod with a very good warranty. Reddington makes a decent rod for the money. also you can look into St. Croix, Orvis, Sage, Cabelas and Bass Pro Shops.

As for reels, choose one designed for saltwater. Ross makes a good reel, Nautalis, Orvis, and galvan also make some decent saltwater reels.

Line... you will need a tropical floating line. you can look into scientific anglers mastery series (bonefish), rio (bonefish), Teeny tropic BF taper,... or any other tropical line.

Flies... you will need crazy charlies, clousers, bonefish bites, crab patterns, and shrimp patterns. you can also look into getting bonefish fly kits.

IF you get a a chance look for Bonefish41 here on the forum, and PM him. He can really get you on the right track. Hope this helps.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Robb

Thats all good advice---i thought there was a thread on here about finding and catching bones solo (without a guide) in Andros---Andros is one of the primier bonfish spots and fish weigh into double digits---think about plenty of backing

A number of people that have gone from northern Ohio---Pm me and i can hook you up with them---One in particular works in a flyshop and can fix you up with the right stuff.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM

Shorthaul that sounds good maybe we could meet up Im in Avon Lake. right down the road from you
Old 08-02-2008, 11:34 PM

hauntedbywaters is on a distinguished road

the echo classic is so good for the money, 25 year unconditional warranty, and leaves money for a good reel... cuz your gunna need it
Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Thanks for your help guys, Im leaning towards the echo classic that was recommended with a bauer mackenzie superlite, hows that combo sound? Now for hooks what do you guys recommend? Ill be tying clousers and prlly some crab patterns, I will also be tying larger streamers for tarpon and cuda.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:16 AM

hsmith1313 is on a distinguished road

Don't know much about echo rods or bauer reels, but I highly recommend a large arbor reel. When that bone decides to come right back at you after taking you into your backing you need to pick up line real fast and a large arbor makes that easier.

As for Andros, I've been twice and you will have many opportunities to cast to bonefish, but I suggest getting a guide the first couple of times until you figure out how it all works. Bonefish are hard to see and easy to spook. The guides are usually very good at spotting fish and most will give you some casting instructions if needed. To catch bones consistently, you WILL need to be able to cast 40 ft. into a moderate wind. You might catch an occasional fish at closer range, but not very often.

Bonefishing is fun, but it is more like turkey hunting than squirrel hunting. Anyone with a gun can walk into just about any decent patch of woods a get a squirrel, but turkey hunting requires a lot more work, skill and experience.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Oh man, kids today really are a lot smarter...... way to spend that tuition!

You'll have a blast. Life is all down hill after college anyway, so live it up.

If you tie, get crackin'. Most bonefish stuff is pretty easy to whip up, and there are a lot of patterns out there. If you can convince your parents they're "textbooks", try to get your hands on some books by Dick Brown ("Fly fishing for Bonefish" and "Bonefish Flies" )

In addition to your bonefish flies selected and sized specifically for Andros, some light, some dark and in various weights (get good advice from folks that have been there a lot) take:

a good pair of amber/brown polarized sunglasses, essential for spotting fish

an assortment of basic saltwater flies like size 2/0 deceivers, 1/0 clousers, some heavily weighted 3/0 half and halfs or rabbit strips for deep dredging, and something to chug along the surface like 2/0 crease flies or poppers. You'll probably be able to get access to a boat, and these will be good to throw at all kinds of other stuff including jack crevalle, snappers etc. and will cover the water column. There's a lot of other stuff around besides the bones.

extra material and hooks and other stuff for tying for when you need a break from studying at the library (yeah right).

We're all looking forward to your term paper.

peregrines
Old 08-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Yeah I tie I fish a lot of minnow patterns for steelhead including clousers and some other ties with zonker strips. Im sure they would work for bone fish I was planning on tying some big gaudy streamers too. Im gonna be bringing some other gear down there I have an 8,6 baitcaster with a calcutta that I use for throwing plugs for salmon I read that jerkbaits work well for other fish down there and I have plenty of cranks . Ill prlly bring a surf rod that I have as well as a couple of spinning rods. My friends who went last year said that there are bonefish everywhere and he would just use pieces of crab. I dont know about hiring a guide Im gonna be there for 7 weeks tho so Ill get a hang of it myself. Definitly bringing the vice there though now I just gotta get a hang of tying crab patterns. Does anybody have a link for a tutorial on how to tye them?

I will be sure to post reports If I can when Im down there If not when I get back I will for sure.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Raven

As far as hooks go, I use Mustad 34007 or 3407. You should also sharpen them with one of those yellow handled Luhr Jensen Hook Files (around $6)

Crab pattern- This is the one to use, and these are the best instructions for it. Easy to tie, and killer pattern for bones and permit. Del Brown Permit Fly (aka Merkin) for bones sizes 2,4,6 for Bahamas. You can go to 1 for permit. You can probably find Aunt Lydia’s Sparkle Yarn at a craft store for way cheaper than in a fly shop. I tie them in all tan and tan and brown (alternating color strips of yarn)
Fly tying bench - merkin permit crab pattern - Florida Keys fly fishing

Bonefish flies. I would tie them in tans, browns, whites, and pinks mostly in size 4 and 6, but some 2 and 8 as well. Heavy, larger stuff like a tan Borski Slider and a pink/white Puff, Squimp in 2 and 4 for deeper water, lightly weighted Crazy Charlies in smaller sizes 4. 6 and maybe a few 8’s for skinny water. And Gotchas, Bunny Bones, Marabou Shrimp 2, 4 and 6 for medium depths. That way you’ll be covered for different depths and bottom colors

Step by step Gotcha size 4, 6
TYING THE GOTCHA BONEFISH FLY- FLY TYING ARTICLE - SALTWATERFLIES.COM

Borski Slider- a killer pattern. Try tan size 2 and 4 for Andros:
Borski Slider - Tan

Step by steps for other bone patterns:
Tying bone fish flies.... - SurfTalk

Some other bone ties to google:
Crazy Charlie, Marabou Shrimp, Bonefish Scampi (tied with rabbit), Puff or mini- puff . Bunny Bone (in tan/white, brown/white, pink, white sizes 4, 6, 8) Or you can probably can figure them out, and a lot of and a lot of other stuff for fish you’ll find down there from looking here:
Saltwater Flies, saltwater flies, Saltwater Flies, SALTWATER FLIES!

You might find this site helpful also:
Bahamas Bonefishing What to Bring List - Outfitting Guide for Flats Fishing the Bahamas and Caribbean

Good luck!

peregrines

PS Find some wind, and cast into it, and work on your double haul. You won't need to cast 90 feet to fish, but if you can, you'll be able to throw 40-50 when the wind picks up. And it always seems to.