The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:38 AM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough
Default need help with waders!

I have never owned a pair of waders. I am going to colorado in sept. and I was wondering if I should rent that stuff when i get there or should I buy some. I have tried some on and they fit funny. If I was to get some should I get chest wader or hip waders? Do they have waist high waders? I live in an area with alot of lakes and no streams. I am only going on vacation. Should I get waders with boot already attached or should I get the sock kind and buy wading boots? If I buy boots do you recommend felt soles or studded soles? I need lots of help!
Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: need help with waders!

If I were you, I'd just rent, providing you're only going to use them a couple of days. They rent for about $20 a day. September weather is generally pretty nice, but it can be unpredicatable too. The high country will start seeing snow in Sept. so be prepared for that possiblity. A good pair of waders is going to cost you in the neighborhood of $200 and up. Or, you can get neoprene waders at Wal Mart for about $50 then another $30 for wading boots. They also have breathable cheapies for about $80 then the boots seperately at $30.
If you rent you can take advantage of the local fly shop's expertise on all the info you'll need to have sucess and of course supply you with the best flies for your adventure. You can do that without the rentals but you'll feel better about picking their brains if you shed a little cash to help out the local economy.
As far as booted or stocking foot, stocking foot gives you the better options for the type of socks you're going to be wearing depending on how the boot style fit your feet and body. And you can just get a better fit on seperate boots.
Oh, yeah, chest waders for sure and felt soles.
Enjoy your trip to Colorado, and catch some big-uns.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:07 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

Personally, I wouldn't wear waders in September. But then, I have trouble understanding all these guys fishing in waders in July and I guess the later half of September can start to get chilly in Colorado.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
Personally, I wouldn't wear waders in September. But then, I have trouble understanding all these guys fishing in waders in July and I guess the later half of September can start to get chilly in Colorado.
Hi plland,

I think it has a lot to do with the type of water you are fishing. Many rivers are fed from the bottom of a dam and those tail waters can be very cold. I have fished the San Juan when it was really hot but still had cold feet and legs even with my neoprenes. My age may have a lot to do with it. Maybe in Colorado you are not fishing tail waters?

Besides, who wants to go fly fishing with out their uniform?
Frank
Old 08-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tgoodwater2002,

I think you would be better served if you rented for your trip. Then you will have a better understanding what you might need at home. I would rent especially if you don't plan on using them on your home waters.

There are three basic types of waders, Hip Boot. Waist High and Chest High Waders.

1. Hip Boots

Hip Boots come in neoprene, hard rubber and breathable materials. You can buy Boot Foot or Stocking Foot styles. The hard rubber boot foot is the most popular. You can only wade water up to slightly above the knee. If you intend to wade deeper water then the Hip Boot is not a good choice. They are useful for pontoon boats or drift boats.

Cabela's Hip Boot
Click the image to open in full size.

2. Waist High Waders

Waist high waders come with boot foot or stocking foot and in neoprene or breathable styles. Waist highs allow you to wade water up to your crotch with confidence. Waist highs are more comfortable in warm weather and work very well for fishing from a boat and stopping to fish from sandbars. I prefer them for fishing from a pontoon boat. You don't have to worry about getting water in the top like you do with a hip boot.

3. Chest High Waders

Chest high waders also come with boot foot or stocking foot and in neoprene or breathable styles. Chest highs allow you to wade water up to a few inches above your waist. This is the best choice for deep water wading. They are harder to put on and off and may be hotter than a waist high or hip boot. They are the most popular type of wader for fly fishing.

Your fishing style will dictate the style of boot you may want. The Boot Foot is best for very cold water and where there is not a lot of walking. If you drive from fishing hole to fishing hole then the boot foot is a very good choice. If you have to hike any distance you will like the added comfort of the Stocking Foot style. The Stocking Foot also allows the choice of the foot ware as to weight, height and type of sole. Felt has been the primary sole used by fly fishers but for the safety of the fishery, hard sole boots are getting very popular.

Frank

Please Note: I am not endorsing the Cabela's equipment over any other. The pictures are for illustration only.

Cabela's Waist and Chest High Waders
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:02 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I really dont know what I will be fishing to be honest. If I see a wadable stream I think I will try to fish it. I will mainly be in estes park and taylor park resevoir. I heard that there is a stream that goes into the gunnison river from taylor park. I really dont want to be in water over my waist. I am a little leary of going any deeper. Any pointers would be great as to where to go.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i'd rent and if you could. since you haven't previously needed waders why spend the extra money.

if you are going to buy eventuall, frank left out the hip waders with stocking feet. i have a pair of orvis silver labels that work well, though i took a slo-mo spill in a small stream recently (first time for everything) and got a bucketfull of water into each leg, thoroughly soaking my jeans. still, they are much cooler than chest highs when the weather dictates it. though back to your original point, your main fishing in lakes doens't require waders at all.

if the water isn't cold, i'd simply wet wade in swimming trunks or outdoor specific shorts or even pants like hiker pants which not being cotton will dry out very fast. even if you go this route, i'd highly recommend boots separate from the waders for your visit. the botfoot wader system is great for ease of puttng them on but stocking foot style allows for a more secure fit and safety trumps convenience.

the area you fish will dictate what type of sole you'd need. felt is an overall safe bet but some places require stufs, and aquastealth helps in ways felt cannot. there are always tradeoffs so like i said at the begining, rent if you can and judge what may work best for you.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:19 PM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

There is a fly shop in Estes...do yourself a favor and book a half or full day guide...They will put you on to some fish..if you don't know the area and streams it can be hit or miss getting into some trout. They also would have waders to rent and know what the fish are hitting on. It is worth the money. I am sorry but I can't remember the name of the shop - it is run by a young guy and his wife. good fishing
Old 08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree...RENT. A good pair of breathables and boots you will be looking at around $300. sad to say, but Breathable HIPPERS and WAIST HIGH are really not that much of a saving over chest high. I have the breathable hippers, of course there is a boot attached, but isn't that the appeal to hippers, put on and go? They are Orvis and they cost $149. where as the Chest wader in this line is $179.

EXAMPLE: in the Cabela's catalog, there is HODGMAN. Stocking foot on all here.
Hippers - $80. , Waist High - $100. and Chest $110. See where I am going?

Plus all the chest high I have ever seen have a roll down/fold down feature that allowes you to turn them in to waist highs real easy, but on those cold wet, rainy days....nothing beats chest highs!
Old 08-03-2008, 08:56 PM

Fly Fish Herman is on a distinguished road

I really like neoprene waders. Treat them well and they will keep you nice and toasty in those cold waters.

I do lots of fishing right after the ice melts here and they still keep me pretty warm.