The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road
Default fishing the world

Hey everyone, well in about a year I will be taking off for an around-the world trip. Plan to do quite a bit of fishing as I go. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on cool destinations to fish. I will be hitting up some of the more well known areas like Patagonia but was curious if anyone had any experiences out of the ordinary that were just amazing? Central/South America, Africa, Asia and the south Pacific/New Zealand are all on the list so anywhere and any species is fair game. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: fishing the world

Hi liv2fish,

You should add the Kamchatka area of Russia and of course don't overlook Alaska.

Frank
Old 08-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Never did any of these, so no first hand knowledge.

Iceland - A. Salmon
Scandanavia sea trout/salmon/char/grayling
Former yugoslavia - marbled trout
GB/Scotland- traditional chalk stream stuff
Western Russia- Kola Peninsula for A salmon,
Good place to ask about specific places/outfitters for the above, and a lot of other places would be globalflyfisher.com

Eygpt - Lake Nasser for Nile Perch, tigerfish. Google "african angler nasser"
Indian Ocean- Seychelles - bonefish, gt
West Africa- some very good blue water stuff, you might want to look for a big game board to get specifics.
South Africa- lot's of fly fishers there, so it's worth looking into. Mostly SW I think.

i spent a little time in Kenya years ago. Don't know about flight connections, and they tend to be pretty bad between different parts of Africa, but you might be able to route something from Eygpt to Kenya/Tanzania (for wildlife viewing in the Maasai Mara/Serengetti) and from there, fly to the Seychelles. You might be able to arrange some offshore stuff out of Kenya sea coast ports like Shimoni south of Mombassa, but they may not be set up for FF. Best to poke around and research in advance and constantly keep on top of the security situation. There used to be great Nile perch/tiger fishing in the northern territories, around Lake Turkana in Kenya. You'll see adverts for fishing lodges but the security situation is not great with Somali raiders etc. And the fish have been hammered by netting, so best to avoid that fishery if you come across tempting stuff on the internet for nile perch fishing. The Nasser thing on the other hand looks like a blast, and it looks like a first class operation.

Australia - lot's of SW stuff
N. Zealand - sight fishing for big trout

Mongolia- the taimen thing
Eastern Russia -Kamchatka for P. Salmon/steelhead. I would be very careful with outfitters and do your due diligence before hand. Could be great, could be better off in Alaska. Do Alaska too anyway.
Christmas island- bonefish

Amazon-peacock bass and other weirder stuff
Patagonia- sea run browns etc
Costa Rica- Billfishing on both coasts
Belize- bones tarpon etc
Mexico- Cabo- roosters, mahi, bills, tunoids. Yucatan bones

Looking forward to the trip report.

peregrines
Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's brookies in the stream across the way from my house...
Just don't expect me to show you my favorite runs...

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your help, there will be a lot of planning going into this trip. Love the brookie too.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 AM

neversink will become famous soon enoughneversink will become famous soon enough

Japan

Japan is probably a well suited location with selections from nortthern island which is next to Russia to sounthern island next to Taiwan. Commercial fishing is massive, so I would suggest to consult with guides for location X.

- salmon, taimen, chars and trouts (freshy and salty)
- snake head
- sea perch, snapper, and halibut
- mahi, tuna, bonito, and trevally