The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 09:03 PM

crockerag is on a distinguished road
Default 5wt Line

Does anyone know of any 5wt saltwater line?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5wt Line

What are you trying to accomplish ?
'Cuz a line is a line is a line.
If you need to cast larger flies with a light line, cut back the front taper.
8 inches usually works pretty well, but you should experiment by cutting the line back a bit at a time until it preforms as you'd like it to.
I do it all the time
Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Crockerag-

A 5 weight is pretty light for salt, so choices will be limited. The only line i know of made specifically for salt in 5 weight is the SA Bonefish floater (made for tropical conditions in Fla, the Gulf etc.), but you may have difficulty finding it in stock in shops, and might have to special order it.

For coldwater in the NE, or No. Calif etc, if you're looking specifically for a 5 wt to use in the salt, I would probably go for the RIO Outcast, which is an integrated shootinghead/running line. You can get it with a floating head/ floating running line, or intermediate head/floating running line in 5 wt. (There is an Outcast Tropical but only in 7 wt and up.)

But these lines may not be the best way to go for you. In fact, itís pretty common to upline in SW, using 1 wt heavier line (or more). As Rip Tide mentioned, more info would be helpful. Here are some specific questions...

What kind of fishing will you be using it for? What size flies?

Where? (warm water Florida, Gulf etc, or No CA, NE?)

What rod action and fly line do you have?

How's your casting? What kind of distance can you get with your "normal" flies vs what you intend to use in SW?

How often will you be using it in SW? (trip of a lifetime, casual weekend/vac on the coast, or live near SW and expect to be a frequent SW "Flyer"?

The answers to these might help zero in on some specific recommendations for you to smoke over.

peregrines
Old 08-21-2008, 06:27 PM

I am trying to decide between a 5 or 6wt rod for general freshwater fishing in Texas ponds, lakes, and streams. I also want to use this rod on the coast fishing for schoolie speckled trout at night when I don't want to use my 8wt. I was just curious if there were any lines other than SA Bonefish for a 5wt. I will purchase either a 5 or 6wt Sage FLi. I plan to fish the lights during the summer months several times a month during the summer but plan on fishing freshwater year round.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Crockerag

For SW, and for a lighter rod for TX FW assuming bass, I'd go with the 6. There won't be a huge difference between a 5 and a 6, but you'll be able to throw larger stuff like poppers and bass bugs and weighted flies like clousers just a tad easier for LMB.

You'll have an easier time with a 6 in salt, again based on the size of flies, throwing weighted stuff for reds, and also the wind. Although a 5 wt would probably get the nod for an all around FW trout weight, the 6 will still be good for that too, and lends itself especially well to big water and streamers, as well as the typical trout dries and nymphs if you head for cold water.

Personally i haven't gone below an 8 in SW, because of the size of the flies (mostly around 1/0 and 2/0), ever present wind, and I'm wading most of the time (and lower to the water). Less so for the size of the fish, but there is always the hope of something large.

It's probably not on your mind now, but down the road at some point you could think about adding a 4 weight for panfish and spring creek trout. And maybe a 10 for cobia if you do the oil rig thing.... A 4-6-8-10 would cover you for most anything except tarpon over 120 and bluewater stuff....

peregrines
Old 08-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the input. Would a 6 be overkill for bream? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2008, 08:24 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

not down there, since texas has everything big...lol..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..