The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crab Fly pattern

I don't fish for bones, but I do fish the flats here locally.
I'm a big fan of Tim Borski's style of tying and a variation of his Borski Slider is my flats go-to

Borski Slider
Click the image to open in full size.

Some of his other flies I like are the Chernobyl Crab

and the Mangrove Critter
Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 AM

jpfxi is on a distinguished road

Thanks Mon.
I certainly will will try a couple of those! Have caught quite a few on the slider, havent tried the crabs, yet.

Here's a video my wife shot on our last trip:
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Guys.
Thanks once again for good advice on crab flies!
Caught this guy the other day.Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

And againClick the image to open in full size.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 AM

nedun is on a distinguished road

That orange color in the fancy pants is the same that I use for my shark flies, they bite good!
Old 11-02-2010, 07:22 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Very nice looking flies Riptide.

Nice Bone Jpx.

Good one Nedun!

Cheers,
Jim
Old 11-30-2010, 11:41 PM

coconutgroves is on a distinguished road

Most of the permit I've caught have been on simple crab flies. Take something light for sandy bottoms, some dark for grass, and a mix of weight. If you have a slight chop, the weight is ok - if it is glass, you'll want to go stealthy. Bauer crabs work great - trim back the legs if they look too long.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum!

If you're a true bonaholic, then you know what you want to use for patterns to catch bonefish. I would err on the side of more Crazy Charlies and Gotchas, rather than crab patterns for bones. For me, they work very well; particularly when tied in colors match the bottom where you'll be fishing. Root beer bodies with tan or cream wings work well, as do sand colored bodies with green and black wings. Most of the things that bonefish routinely eat when they're on the flats have evolved to look pretty much like the bottom.

The dirt trick that Dennis mentions is a good one and I saw a lot of people using it last Spring at Turneffe Flats in Belize. Another thing that you can do to get rid of the synthetic smell on new flies is simply to put them in the water overnight. The salt brine will usually kill any smell that your new ties have.

If you like crab patterns for bonefish, then here's another vote for the Merkin crab; and in larger size, it will easily double for you as a good permit fly.

Have fun on Abaco!

Pocono
Old 12-02-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
Welcome to the forum!

If you're a true bonaholic, then you know what you want to use for patterns to catch bonefish. I would err on the side of more Crazy Charlies and Gotchas, rather than crab patterns for bones. For me, they work very well; particularly when tied in colors match the bottom where you'll be fishing. Root beer bodies with tan or cream wings work well, as do sand colored bodies with green and black wings. Most of the things that bonefish routinely eat when they're on the flats have evolved to look pretty much like the bottom.

The dirt trick that Dennis mentions is a good one and I saw a lot of people using it last Spring at Turneffe Flats in Belize. Another thing that you can do to get rid of the synthetic smell on new flies is simply to put them in the water overnight. The salt brine will usually kill any smell that your new ties have.

If you like crab patterns for bonefish, then here's another vote for the Merkin crab; and in larger size, it will easily double for you as a good permit fly.

Have fun on Abaco!

Pocono
Hey!
Back from Abaco! And yes, we had some fun..
We had a great trip to say the least.
Tried some different crab-patterns. And caught lots of fish on a Turneffe crab,with weedguard, tied on a size 4 hook. Easy to tie and quite splash free.. Another fly that proved very effective was a BunnyGotcha/BahamaMama clone with 4 pairs of rubberlegs. Also a size 4 hook. My three largest fish was all caught on a large light tan, size 2 Simram.
Now the fly boxes need re-filling for March/April..
Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM

p175634 is on a distinguished road

If you need a soft landing crab pattern I would also go for a Merkin

But have you thought about using a mini puff or wiggler. Both these flies were designed to be used on waters that are regularly fished and therefore contain Bonefish and Permit that can get spooked quickly. They were originally a shrimp pattern but I have had success with the darker color tan wiggler and mini puff to represent small crabs.

Tan Shrimp Wiggler Saltwater flyfishing Bonefish flies - Wriggler
The Tan Mini Puff Bonefish Flyfishing Saltwater Fly

When a real crab is running for its life from a predatory permit it tries to dig it self into the sand and hide whilst waving its pincher claws up in the direction of the threat. (this is what the Merkin and McCrab patterns try to imitate)

The long tail on the Tan Wiggler and Mini Puff give this image of a fleeing crab with claws up to the Permit. It recognises it as food. If I see tailing fish or a disturbance in the sandy bottom that is where I try to get my fly.

Tight Lines
Craig Moore
London, England