The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 06:02 AM

jpfxi is on a distinguished road
Default Crab Fly pattern

Hi!
My name is Johan and I'm a Bonaholic. They say first step to recovery is admitting you've got a problem... I've got a fly problem:-)
I'll soon be off to this place, 4th trip;-): Bonefishbonefish - Do it yourself Bonefishing on Abaco in the Bahamas. In Abaco, Bahamas.
I've done lots of bonefishing before, and have a pretty decent flycollection. Only issue is I do not have a proper crab fly! I have tried several patterns, but I don't feel very comfortable with any of them. Most because they make one hell of a splash! The only fly I've found working well is a Bonefish Bitter with a deer hair "collar" that works as a parachute, softening the landing. It needs to be said that I do alot of fishing for shy,tailing fish which seems to be quite fond of their crabs.
Anyone out there who has a stealthy crab imitation they would like to share?
I'm leaving in 3weeks.
Tight Lines!
Johan
Old 10-06-2010, 07:03 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default Re: Crab Fly pattern

Admitting your problem is the first step to revocery. The only cure, is to catch a bone on your fly now unforunately.. sorry, I have never fished for them. Only the occasional snook
Old 10-06-2010, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Johan,

Without knowing what Crab patterns you have tried I suggest you take a look at the Crab Patterns that Kaufmann's sell. They have several patterns.

Here is a link to how to tie an
y. This fly is used for Bones even though it is a Permit fly. You might want to try lighter eyes than they use to lessen the entry splash.

Frank
Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Johan, here is another pattern that looks good.
Fly Tying Video File: Tying Flies for Fresh & Salt Water: How To Tie A Blue Crab Fly
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Johan,

Welcome to the forum.

A second vote for the Merkin (also called "Del Brown's Permit Fly"). For bones moist popular size is 2, with larger sizes to 1/0 if you're specifically targeting permit. Tie it in color combinations to match local crabs-- most popular version is alternating strands of tan and brown sparkle yarn.

Good luck and have a great trip.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Johan: Here is another idea, last night I was reading where Charlie Craven is going to the Bahamas in Jan. If you scroll down on this link you will see what he is planning on using for bones: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/BahamasFlyer.pdf

Larry
Old 10-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Welcome to the forum, I hope you check in to let us know how the fly tying / buying is going and tell us how many fish you catch.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-06-2010, 12:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

This may not help you with your splash issue, but I found this technique interesting.

Here is a trick that a Florida Keys angler learned accidentally. He just tied up some Merkin Crabs that smelled too much like head cement. To get rid of that smell, he rubbed mud into his flies. When the muddy fly hit the water or was stripped, Bonefish and Permit would eat the fly.

Here is the theory. When a crab moves around, a puff of sand or dirt moves around. The mud breaks up off the crab pattern to appear as it is moving.

Enjoy your trip.

MP
Old 10-06-2010, 01:22 PM

jpfxi is on a distinguished road

Hey guys.
Thanks for all advice! Will keep you posted on how it all works out. Will tie some different patterns tonite, and see if I can make one that works.

Reg. rubbing mud on the fly. I'm sure that's a good trick. It also makes the fly smell more realistic. Kinda like what some offshorefishermen do when they keep their squidskirts in a bucket full of sea weed.
Speaking of smell; Have u ever tried a Stink box? When fishing you catch a crab or conch. Crush it, and put it in a small plastic container together with a handful of your favorite killer flies. A dirty trick, litteraly... But it has proven very effective! Just don't leave it in your hip pack for two weeks like I once did. And don't open the container using your teeth when you can't remember what's inside
Aaanyway.. Thanks for all good advice so far!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Johan, Best of luck on the trip. Please post some photo's of your patterns.