The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: beginner surf fisherman, what rod?

Way to go- congratulations sounds like you had a blast! Keep us posted, and again great job.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 AM

sxm has a spectacular aura aboutsxm has a spectacular aura about

When it comes to saltwater, a lot depends on the wind. On a nice calm day, wading an 8 wt is fine. But when the wind kicks up, there is no fun in having a clouser smack one in the back of the head. Then at least a 10 wt helps.

Also, the size of the fly will be an issue. 8 is fine for a #2, but go to a 2/0 and you might as well be casting a spinning jig.

Finally there is you is your age and condition. Being an older gentleman (over 60), for me the extra line weight in a 10 means less effort to push line out. Also, easier to bring in the bigger ones.

When fresh water fishing in a kayak, I'll usually up-weight from 5 to 8 just for the ease of casting and bringing in a fish.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I stay away from clousers. With a gust of wind a clouser could easily hit you or the rod tip (and break it). I prefer fishing sinking lines to get under the surface. Sinking lines will also help you cast through the wind.

Also, you'll need a good stripping basket. (It's worth the money.) IMHO the Orvis basket is the best one out there.

An 8-weight should be fine. If it's windy I take my 9-weight.

Randy
Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I stay away from clousers. With a gust of wind a clouser could easily hit you or the rod tip (and break it). I prefer fishing sinking lines to get under the surface. Sinking lines will also help you cast through the wind.
I don't use the Clouser minnows much either.
I do however use lead-eye weighted 'worms' and large crabs in the surf zone when I want a fly that hugs the bottom.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:56 AM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

Total Rod and reel weight is important to me. I have a 9 weight that's not one of my higher end rods, and it's heavy IMHO. I used it in the surf last weekend and did manage to catch a few blues with it. Bottom line I am in the market for a lighter 8/9 weight, it's not much fun to cast a heavy rig all day.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Total Rod and reel weight is important to me. I have a 9 weight that's not one of my higher end rods, and it's heavy IMHO. I used it in the surf last weekend and did manage to catch a few blues with it. Bottom line I am in the market for a lighter 8/9 weight, it's not much fun to cast a heavy rig all day.

Ya want light? Orvis Helios. Cost ya a bit of change, but it is light. Real light. The 25 year guarantee is good to have.

I settled for the Hydros 8wt and will get a 10 wt for the windy days and for using sinking line.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:05 PM

eldermike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxm View Post
Ya want light? Orvis Helios. Cost ya a bit of change, but it is light. Real light. The 25 year guarantee is good to have.

I settled for the Hydros 8wt and will get a 10 wt for the windy days and for using sinking line.
Yeah they are light I have 3 high end Orvis rods but my heavy rod is not an Orvis and weighs a ton. I don't fish surf all that often so I am looking for the best low cost 8 weight for the job.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldermike View Post
Yeah they are light I have 3 high end Orvis rods but my heavy rod is not an Orvis and weighs a ton. I don't fish surf all that often so I am looking for the best low cost 8 weight for the job.

Might want to wait for the new Access line of rod. I believe the Access is replacing the Clearwater, but is based on the Helios/Hydros technology.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Regarding light surf rods.

Mike,

I don't have personal experience, but I would definitely check out the TFO BVK's for no other reason than from posts from two guys on the Florida saltwater fishing forum.

Both of them have, for two years, basically flown into a rage at the mention of TFO's being good rods. Both of them beach fish A LOT, and I can tell from their tips on retrieves, flies and what not that they know what they are doing.

So I was shocked when I read this from the most disparaging one of them, and a similar post from the other.

Quote:
Everyone here knows that TFO rods are the bane of my exhistance, but I was impressed with the BVK. We have the #6, 7, and 8wt at HG's and they are pretty nice. I have a list of gripes, but not about the blank. For $249 I don't think you'll find a better rod
This guy builds his own rods but for factory rods, his taste runs toward Sage TCR's, TCX's and other fast rods.

So I would definitely check out this rod if I were you.. I have not tried it myself.

Cheers,
Jim