The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 AM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default beginner surf fisherman, what rod?

I am going to start surf fishing and need a good starter setup to start getting better. I currently have a 9 ft 8 wt winston VSL rod I use for large freshwater fish like stripers/steelhead. Would that work for surf fishing in general? Or is it worth it to get into the spey long rods or whatever? Very new to the saltwater game. Also what line am i going to use most of the time? right now i have a spool of 8 wt rio grand floating line , and a 24 foot 250 grain sink tip spool.

Last edited by kfisher99; 10-07-2010 at 03:55 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: beginner surf fisherman, what rod?

Your 8wt should be fine but if you want to try something new, granted I'm a bit biased but I would look into switch rods. I would cut the 24' tip down to maybe 10 and the balance cut into smaller section to have versitility. Pending on what your fishing for I would go with a 6wt switch then you can keep the RIO grand and overhead cast with two hands. I will say that 90% of my surf experiance I see guys really trying to bomb casts out as far as possible, with the fish hanging right at the shoreline, or in the foam. Try casting at a 45 to breakers and let a breaker tumble your offering to the inside of the bar and then begin the hand over hand strip.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

kfisher- your current outfit sounds great---

Tell us more about where you plan to fish and we could probably give you some pointers on specific gear.

Also- I should mention that fly fishing "surf" -- with waves on an open beach can be difficult-- sure there are times when fish are blitzing right at your feet-- but those are the exceptions. But fishing back bays, flats behind barrier islands, the inside of inlets, river mouths, and tidal outflows, can be very productive, as well as more sheltered locations along the Gulf and other areas without a pounding surf.

Switch and spey rods are slowly gaining in popularity here for east coast SW but you don't see many of them yet. Most use 9' single handed 8-10 weights for stripers etc--

Let us know what you'll be chasing!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Your 8 weight rig should be fine. Just make sure to give it a good cleaning with freshwater after you fish. Use your 250 grain sink tip. You need to use the mass to load up your rod quickly and to get your fly down through all the hydraulics.

If you are going to be fishing the California coast, check out Glenn Yoshimoto's website. Glenn is the man when it comes to California surf fishing.

MP
Old 10-07-2010, 10:34 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Your 8 weight rig should be fine. Just make sure to give it a good cleaning with freshwater after you fish. Use your 250 grain sink tip. You need to use the mass to load up your rod quickly and to get your fly down through all the hydraulics.

If you are going to be fishing the California coast, check out Glenn Yoshimoto's website. Glenn is the man when it comes to California surf fishing.

MP
Also check the sites of Dan Blanton and Ken Hanley. JB.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:36 AM

whats the best way to clean my reel? just run it under a faucet? or gently clean it out with a rag?
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

I use a Orvise 9'5" 9wt. 8to 9 Battenkill saltwater reel. Outfit works fine for me. When i get back from a fishing trip i just rinse the reel gently under water, some times i let it soak for a while. after drying i strip the line out and treat it with some dressing. Then i clean the inside of the reel and lubricate the gears and the clickers. Once a year i strip all the line and backingto check the conections, then i replace backing or line if needed.I have this outfit since 1998 and it still looks new.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I soak my reel in my stripping basket and then it rinse off in the morning..

Hey 99, still waiting to know where you'll be fishing and if you're actually talking about surf fishing or saltwater fishing in general
While I normally use a 9' rod in most situations, in the surf I like a 10 footer to keep my line up over the breakers

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi kfisher99,

I am not a big time saltwater fly fisher and use my freshwater fly reels. Well I take that back. I do have one saltwater reel and I do the same procedure with all of my reels used in saltwater. I pull the fly line off and make sure all the line that is wet is rinsed in fresh water. With the line off I rinse the reel and dry completely. I message the line between my fingers under the fresh water. As I reel the line back on the line I run it through a dry rag.

This has worked for me and I have had no saltwater problems with my reels.

Frank
Old 10-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Man i nailed the kelp bass today near the floating kelp om a green/white clouser minow on my 24ft sink tip. 10 fish in all i think, all around 1-2 pounds.