The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 11:21 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default Gel-spun Backing?

I am considering gel-spun backing for my bonefish and permit reels. My concern is that the small diameter of this backing might cause it to get caught under itself and cause problems.

Has anyone been using this gel backing and if so, how did it work out?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:27 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gel-spun Backing?

Zero issues on my saltwater Abels.

MP
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

jpfxi is on a distinguished road

No worries!
I have been using Fireline and other Spectra fibre lines as backing for about ten years. Never had any kind of problem. And yes, I have used it for large fish such as Tarpon, Barracuda and Sharks.
Will mention that I always use relatively thick backing. Usually 50lbs+. Mostly because I need to fill the spool, and I'm not interested in filling it with 900yds of 30lbs braid like a friend of mine did with his bonefish reel.. Lots of waisted money on backing you'll never use. I fill my bonefish reels with about 250yds of 50lbs and the big game reels with about 4-500yds of 60-70lbs. Why 4-500yds? Paranoid I guess....
Good luck!
PS. If you search E-Bay you'll find guys selling Spectra fibre starting at 0,01dollar/500yds (auction).. And it's actually good!
Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I too use gel spun and, like JP, go much heavier in line test than what I would with dacron both for his reasons and for the additional reason that the miniscule diameter lighter test gelspuns do not handle abrasion well when under tension.

I also plan to switch to Jerry Brown hollow GS to eliminate the need for a knot at the fly line. It is a little bigger in volume than the solid ones, but still quite a bit less than dacron.

Just make sure you spool it very tightly if you do it yourself.

Cheers,
Jim