The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 AM

flycaster1 is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on flats wading sandals?

I already have a pair of Orvis Christmas Island flats boots and I'm now looking for a pair of saltwater wading sandals. I plan to use the sandls on sandy beaches and fresh water lakes here in So FL. I have been strongly looking at the Simms Persuit sandals and have some questions:
1. Any other sandal of this type available?
2. If I don't wear a sock, will sand in the sandal be annoying?
3. And most importantly, the question of comfort. I don't have anyone near that would allow me to first try on a pair, so this part I'll have to wing. I have a wide foot and for tennis, ie, I get a 10.5 double E from New Balance. Do you think that an 11 would be too loose?
4. Any other comments appreciated.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on flats wading sandals?

I'm not familiar with wading sandles, just regular sandles with toe strap, instep strap and heel strap. I don't wear them wading in sand, coral or muck because of the irritation caused by the sand, and the suction caused by muck.

I just use old sneakers when wading in the keys in both sand and muck. Since they fit snugly all around my foot, the sand irritation is minimal, and I can still move through muck. I don't wear socks with them.

The zippers don't hold up on the neoprene wading boots, and the neoprene tears out in the heel when putting them on when they are wet.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 10-13-2010 at 08:40 AM. Reason: editing in red
Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Advice on flats wading sandals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster1 View Post
I already have a pair of Orvis Christmas Island flats boots and I'm now looking for a pair of saltwater wading sandals. I plan to use the sandls on sandy beaches and fresh water lakes here in So FL. I have been strongly looking at the Simms Persuit sandals and have some questions:
1. Any other sandal of this type available?
2. If I don't wear a sock, will sand in the sandal be annoying?
3. And most importantly, the question of comfort. I don't have anyone near that would allow me to first try on a pair, so this part I'll have to wing. I have a wide foot and for tennis, ie, I get a 10.5 double E from New Balance. Do you think that an 11 would be too loose?
4. Any other comments appreciated.
I'm also afflicted with round feet and fish salt frequently, so I'll weigh in.

Where I live, I wouldn't dare wear a sandal to wade in the salt, but that's mostly because of random oyster beds scattered around our flats and bays that will slice through a foot like a bullet through a water balloon.

I prefer these- Gander Mountain® > Ray-Guard Foreverlast Flats Boots - Fishing > Fishing Waders :

I've had trouble with cheap boots like the previous post mentioned, but foreverlast has figured out how to make one that will hold up very well.

If you've got a pair, I'd give crocs a try. They don't do well at shedding gravel, but they might work fine with sand.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.