The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Favorite "loop" knot? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/60008-favorite-loop-knot.html)

gbanker 10-13-2010 06:33 PM

Favorite "loop" knot?

I usually tie my bonefish flies onto my leader with a clinch or improved clinch knot but as I am going permit fishing this fall I thought I might need to tie my permit flies on with a "loop" knot so the "crab" has more action. So, what are your favorite "loop" knots??

Davo 10-13-2010 06:59 PM

Re: Favorite "loop" knot?

gbanker

I use a real simple one I learned from my Dads saltwater guide. Take end of your leader and do a simple over hand knot but don't cinch tight. Then thread the tag end through you fly and back through knot and cinch tight, pull the tag end to get the desired loop size and tie one or to half hitches above the knot to lock it in place. Sure it has a name but heck if I know what it is. I use it for streamers and all my saltwater fishing, Tarpon bones reds snook.

mojo 10-13-2010 07:06 PM

Double overhand loop or surgeons loop. Put the fly on the tippet and make a double overhand knot, but slip the loop over the eye when you tighten it, and right when it's about to become a knot, slip it off the eye, pull it to a small loop. I use it on all my flies.

MoscaPescador 10-13-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbanker (Post 151592)
So, what are your favorite "loop" knots??

Lefty Kreh's No Slip Loop Knot

MP

nedun 10-13-2010 07:45 PM

Most loop knots suffer from the same fault, low knot strength. Whichever loop knots you want to use the knots must be tested using the same tippet materials and hooks you intend to fish with. If you don’t have a line tester just tie your tippet to the same leader material and hook intended, hook it to the handle of a pail, fill the pail with water or lead weights until the tippet breaks, weigh the pail and record the results. Each combination should be tested at least three times. You may find it useful to tie your knots outside in the wind just to be more challenging.

Hardyreels 10-13-2010 08:01 PM

I use the Orvis knot for everything I tie on the line. It will land a King salmon or a 1lb trout.

Rip Tide 10-14-2010 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 151605)

This is what you want to use
As close to a 100 % knot as you'll find
I've never had one break

Frank Whiton 10-14-2010 08:46 AM

Hi gbanker,

Without a doubt the best loop knot is the Non-Slip Mono Loop that MP suggested.

Frank

BigCliff 10-14-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip Tide (Post 151879)
This is what you want to use
As close to a 100 % knot as you'll find
I've never had one break

Another vote here.

The only problem I have with it is that its stronger than the double surgeons I've tied the tippet on with, so if I have to break an unretrievable fly off, I've got to re-rig tippet as well. But any knot that's even stronger than a double surgeons (my tippet knot) is a d@mn good one.

One thing to keep in mind, especially for saltwater flies which frequently have weighted dumbell eyes at the front, is to make the loop small. If its too big, it can catch on the eyes, and then you've got a fly that doesn't move right and possibly even can spin like crazy while casting. I try to make the loop on mine about the size of an apple seed.

kglissmeyer1 10-14-2010 09:40 AM

I'm with the concensus for the Orvis No-slip Loop Knot. I've also heard it called the Uni Loop or the Duncan Loop. Here's the link with a tutorial:

Orvis_Knots

I also like to use it for small nymphs, especially anything 18 or smaller on light tippets.

kelly.