The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default First Florida beach trip

Here are some pics of my first beach fishing trip in Florida.

We headed out from my buddy Capt. Applegate's back yard Thursday afternoon and headed across the bay – set up camp on the beach. We brought 7,9,11 and 12 wts plus he brought 3 little spinning rods.

Click the image to open in full size.

Ran an anchor with 20’ chain and 100’ rope out so the stern would hit the beach at high tide. Then ran another 100’ of rope off the stern and hauled it as far down the beach as it would go to swing the skiff out off the beach, and anchored it to a 5’ length of 1” re-bar pounded in at the high tide mark and covered it with a PVC pipe which doubled as a rod holder.

This way, we could untie the stern line from the beach and swing the skiff, stern first, into the beach so we could board without getting wet.

Land view. Note the full moon above the tent.

Gulf view. The stern anchor is out of the picture frame on the left.

East

West

We saw no one else camping in well over 20 miles of cruising the beach (in the boat).

The following morning was the kind of day you dream about – no wind and the coffee and cream water did not extend far from the beach.

My first cast to a tarpon cruising the edge of the clearer water wound up with an aggressive charge and take at about 9:30 AM. The pics are not much as Applegate was using a video camera.

Backing him up

Last jump

The hook pulled about 4 minutes after his last jump.

There is no question that this fish which was probably 70-80 lbs was one of the most memorable- even though I lost him when close at hand.

I am now hooked on beach fishing and will definitely be back there again.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 10-25-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Florida beach trip

Jim: What a great first trip to Florida! Thanks for sharing your report and photos! Even though you lost that big tarpon it must have been one heck of a fight! Pretty nice to camp in suce a secluded spot on the beach.

Larry
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sharing your beach trip. What a beautiful calm day for fishing. When I was hunting in Alaska we had to anchor the boat out so when we returned the boat wouldn't be stranded on the shore.

Frank
Old 10-24-2010, 08:07 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It was great timing that my Windows Media Player was playing Jimmy Buffett's "A Pirate Looks at Forty" when I started reading the thread. That's the kind of trip that I would love to do in the future!

MP
Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

MP,

That is appropriate. To get to Flamingo from my house or Applegate's house, the quickest way is by Dump Key. Dump Key was the drop off point for most of the drug running down here in the 60's and 70's because it is easy to spot from the air and it is difficult to navigate in and out of by boat. The drug runners would throw the bales out, and the guys in very shallow draft skiffs would pick them up and disappear.

Larry, what I meant was that this is the first time I ever beach fished in Florida. I always fished from a boat except when wading for bones on flats. I was raised just outside of Miami and have been fishing the Keys since I was 5 or 6, and now live in the Keys fulll time. Beach fishing is a totally different experience from being staked out or poling. There really aren't any beaches to fish from in the Keys.

It was a real gas, and something I plan on doing a lot more of. For one thing, there are still a lot of tarpon to 150lbs over there - a lot more big ones than in the Keys this time of year. The mullet are running along the shoreline in numbers there now, and the tarpon are chowing down on them and will continue until the water temps drop too low.

My tarpon season (for the big ones) has always ended a few months ago in the past.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jim,

It took me awhile to take a look at this thread (maybe because of having to keep putting wood in the stove here) but that looks GREAT! Warm, camping, boats, big fish, you truly have it made!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-25-2010, 01:14 PM

Ard,

It took me a long time to get back down here full tiime, but I got to agree with you about having it made. I would like to get to Alaska before I die though (during a heat wave).

It's one of the few places I've always wanted to go that I never made it to yet. I could stand the black flies one more time I think; they are really thick some of the places I've fished in Maine in the spring. Mosquitos are a piece of cake compared to them.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 PM

bass bug is on a distinguished road

Looks to me Florida is the place to be congrats with the tarpon.Hope you make Alaska one day.bass bug
Old 01-18-2011, 12:59 AM

p175634 is on a distinguished road

What flies did you use that tempted your tarpon?

tight Lines
Craig Moore
www.flyfishing-flies.com
Old 01-21-2011, 10:36 AM

I don't know fly names. My RAM is already too random. This is one which I missed a good fish on. The other was almost identical but smaller, as the fish were eating finger mullet then not the big ones.

I think gold eyes would be an improvement over the silver ones.

Cheers,
Jim