The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 02:14 AM

bass bug is on a distinguished road
Default What line?

hi need some advice.Bought one of the new Sonik sk4 #7-8 fly rods to try out on some cod and pollock in the Oslo fjords along with sea trout.I use a spey one hands cast with coastal int #7 will this line go with the Sonik#7-8 10ft.Usually get it spot on with lines but coastal int fast sink is nearly a sink 2 line.Thanks for any tips
Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: What line?

Hi Bass Bug,

I cannot help with that rod line problem but do want to welcome you to the forum.

There is almost always someone here who can answer any question you may have but sometimes it takes time for the right person to spot your post. I hope you will continue to visit us and we do have a member from Norway, tob1. You can find him on the Share Patterns threads and send him a message if you want.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-25-2010, 03:30 PM

Hi Ard, thanks for your reply.got email from Sonik both#7 #8 lines work with this rod.Fishing Wednesday yehabe in touch.Bass bug.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very good, I will look for your post and the next time I message with Trygve (Norwegian) I will give him your name. What is your first name?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-25-2010, 04:12 PM

Mikael, where in Norway does he live?. can i post some pictures and how?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mikael,

I am not familiar with your rod or line. Here are some general comments. The few rods I have seen rated for two lines (7/8) seemed to cast better for me with the heavier line. It is not that the lighter line won't work but you need to carry more line out of the tip for the same loading. With a full sinking line I don't like to have as much line out the tip because it is harder to pick up to cast. With your Spey style cast this may not be as much of a problem as it is for an over head cast.

If your fjords are like the ones in Alaska I assume you are fishing form a boat. Or, do you have some shore line you fish from? A full sinking line works well from a boat but I never liked to fish one from shore. I find a sink tip line works the best for me from shore. I won't recommend a sink tip line to you because I just don't know how you are fishing.

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 10-29-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Hi frank i fish both from land and float ring, i use a #7. i wasnt sure if the coastal int fast sink was to heavy on the #7/8 gave it a try worked ok, i have a #8 intermedite slow sink going to give it a spin just change lines.I always use a #7 so the lines i have match my #7., I use striped bass sink 1, coastal int fast sink, zpey floating, but im always open to tips when unsure thanks for your reply.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass bug View Post
Mikael, where in Norway does he live?. can i post some pictures and how?
Mikael: The forum doesn't allow uploading photos directly from your computer to a thread due to virus threats. You can link from another web site or create a personal album in the Photo Gallery, then upload the photos from your computer to the album, then link from the album to the thread.
Here is an FAQ that explains the details (If you don't understand a step, just ask). The North American Fly Fishing Forum - FAQ: General Forum Usage

Larry
Old 10-27-2010, 05:51 PM

Hi macnerney im not loading them direct from my computer, there going through a forum and is protected against viruses.