The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default To furl or not to furl?

Hey guys, could use some input on furled leaders.
I learned to flyfish from an old salt who always told me "20 or 30lb mono right to the fly line, leave all those knots to the boyscouts!!!"
For the most part he was right, Stripers and Fluke aren't very line shy, and Bluefish always get wire so tappered leaders aren't necessary in my waters (albies are the only exception but thats only 3-4 weeks out of the year).
Now for my question. I've been told that larger flies (6"-10"), poppers and gurglers are much easier to turn with a furled leader. Does anyone use furled leaders for saltwater? Not much worried about presentation, just turning big, wind resistant flies.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:35 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To furl or not to furl?

I don't see the point of using a furled leader in the salt myself
Toughness is more important than the gentle splash down of a supple furled leader
When I fish poppers, I use 6' of straight mono. More for the control than the 'turnover'.
Most other times with a floating or intermediate line I like a simple three section leader of about 100" (easy to remember) or just over 8 feet
I use 60"(%) of 40# test, 20"(%) of 25-30# test, and 20"(%) of 16-20# test for the tippet.
This leader will turn over all but the largest, most air resistant flies.
If I need more oomph than that I go with a leader of 70/10/20%. That will turn over anything you care to throw.
For mono I use Climax hard mono, Trilene Big Game, or Ande
Old 11-29-2008, 05:42 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rip,

I didn't think I was missing anything with the furled leaders, I do have to push poppers and larger flies around sometimes... I'll tie a few using your formula and see if it helps me tomorrow morning. This time of year when the hearing are in big flies are a must here.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:15 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Up our way, gannets are pushing the last of the schools of menhaden (bunker)
(The Fat Lady is well into her aria ) So there's usually a good last slug of straggler cows following. These are mostly Chesapeake fish though, not the Hudson River fish that you're targeting
For bunker flies, and there are plenty of people that would disagree with me, but in my opinion you don't need anything more than a yellow, 7" full dress deceiver
Not too difficult to cast on nearly any saltwater rig
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM

I'll agree with that, I rarely miss with yellow or chartruse, deceivers work well here but I usually start with a clouser and rarely have to switch to anything else. This time of year I tie big silicone mullets (6"-9") in dark colors, with first light being so late in usually fishing my first two hours in the dark. They move alot of water but they catch alot of wind too.