The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 07:54 PM

jr1964 is on a distinguished road
Default Pelican Bay Bonefish

My best buddy and I took a vacation to the Bahamas for some Bonefishing, I was fishing with a Billy Pate Salmon reel with a TFO TICR Rod. The guide was fine with my rod, but my buddy shows up with a ugly stik 6wt. and an Orvis Clearwater reel. I was like Dude that rod has a tough time with bluegills these Bonefish are real Thugs. This fool hooked into a Bonefish at least 10 pounds. I was like oh s#*t that fish started running and the outfit held up for 3 no 4 seconds, the reel started smoking and the rod just snapped. The guide was laughing so much he couldn't pole the boat. I told him well ugly stik will give you a new rod for your trip next year and I'm sure ebay has some 10 years old fishing line for .99 plus shipping you can get.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 PM

jeffcertain is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pelican Bay Bonefish

They make ugly stik flyrods?

http://flyfishingmidwest.com/
Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 PM

lineslinger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr1964 View Post
My best buddy and I took a vacation to the Bahamas for some Bonefishing, I was fishing with a Billy Pate Salmon reel with a TFO TICR Rod. The guide was fine with my rod, but my buddy shows up with a ugly stik 6wt. and an Orvis Clearwater reel. I was like Dude that rod has a tough time with bluegills these Bonefish are real Thugs. This fool hooked into a Bonefish at least 10 pounds. I was like oh s#*t that fish started running and the outfit held up for 3 no 4 seconds, the reel started smoking and the rod just snapped. The guide was laughing so much he couldn't pole the boat. I told him well ugly stik will give you a new rod for your trip next year and I'm sure ebay has some 10 years old fishing line for .99 plus shipping you can get.
And being the good buddy you are you let him use your set-up the rest of the day........right?
Old 01-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineslinger View Post
And being the good buddy you are you let him use your set-up the rest of the day........right?
The day I can't help a friend is the day I have something better to do. That day I had something better to do.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcertain View Post
They make ugly stik flyrods?
Yeah with the plastic reel seat and the clown guide wraps.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:01 PM

MChief is on a distinguished road

Now that story was too funny.