The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 06:55 PM

kevinnini is on a distinguished road
Default SW fly box ...SA no good

I was so disappointed with my new Scientific Anglers fly box...the SW model with the clear textured lids...many of the flies seemed to wiggle loose, even from the vibration of opening and closing. Mostly size 2-8s. Has anybody else experienced this? Has anyone tried the C & F SW series and do they work any better? Any suggestions for a box with foam that the flies won't back out of? Thanks, kevin
Old 11-14-2010, 08:37 PM

boser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura aboutboser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: SW fly box ...SA no good

Kev, I had the same problem with many foam pad boxes. I switched to a metal box with metal clips from Cabelas. You have to order it as I have never seen these style boxes in Cabelas stores. They are a little pricey 40 bucks but it solved my problem. These metal boxes with the metal clips hold at least 100 flies. Check them out on line at Cabelas.com

Regards, Boser
Old 11-14-2010, 10:27 PM

TeddyBallgame09 is on a distinguished road

Bug Luggage or Cliff's Bugger Beast have been wonderful boxes for my Saltwater flies....the Bugger Beast has been a game-changer when it comes to boat trips....it is sturdy, effective and easy to access.

Good luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 AM

sneektip is on a distinguished road

I dunno about having a metal box ion the salt?... I've got two SW boxes that I love- One is the Cliffs Bugger Barn. Best $20 big fly box ever! I also have a couple cheaper boxes made by Spring Brook. They're the orange colored boxes that all the different companies are putting thier own logos on. They're a big version (about 7" X 4") with continuous slotted foam. And I found them REAL cheap. I had to re-glue the foam, but now they're awesome boxes for about $10 each. Here's a link: Fly Fishing Flies - Springbrook Large Streamer Fly Box
Old 11-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinnini View Post
I was so disappointed with my new Scientific Anglers fly box...the SW model with the clear textured lids...many of the flies seemed to wiggle loose, even from the vibration of opening and closing. Mostly size 2-8s. Has anybody else experienced this? Has anyone tried the C & F SW series and do they work any better? Any suggestions for a box with foam that the flies won't back out of? Thanks, kevin
The C&F boxes have done well with those size flies for years.

I would actually go with this one- C and F Design Waterproof Boxes » Large-Sized » MSF for Large-size Flies because the continuous slits offer the most flexibility for loading flies. The guru I learned the most from keeps about 200 clousers in his.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:13 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Cliff's recommendation on large C&F box is a good one. That would be a good pack box.

A boat box option would be the Lake Series boxes from Fly Fitters. For the size range that you have, you may want to consider the Erie or Ontario double sided models. These boxes can be purchased with continuous slit foam. Many guides here in the Northern California use the Ontario or Superior models as their Striped Bass boxes.

MP
Old 11-15-2010, 07:38 PM

kevinnini is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies fellas..to add insult to injury...my boat mate sat on the box...lightly...and popped the latch...now it won't close correctly and won't even hold the flies securely! what a piece of junk oh well...live and learn
Old 11-20-2010, 10:53 AM

jpfxi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinnini View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas..to add insult to injury...my boat mate sat on the box...lightly...and popped the latch...now it won't close correctly and won't even hold the flies securely! what a piece of junk oh well...live and learn
Get yourself a C&F box and you, or yor boat mate can use it as a seat as much as you want! I've got at least ten C&F boxes and they are great! Only downside is that they are a little on the heavy side. But last forever.