The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Tailwater is on a distinguished road
Default St. Croix

I was given a St. Croix Legend Ultra and am trying to get some feedback on this rod for use in salt marshes and off the beach in coastal Virginia and the Outer Banks. The rod is a nine foot, nine weight and I have a few days to exchange it. I am thinking about going to a ten foot, nine weight in the same rod becasue I will definitely use it on the beach.

Before I commit to this rod, can anyone suggest a comparable lower priced rod or a better performing rod at this same price point? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St. Croix

I use a 10' rod when I fish the surf. The extra length is handy for mending over breaking waves. Most other times I'll fish a 9' rod for ease of landing the fish.

Can't comment on the Legend Ultra..... I do have a older Legend 10wt though and for me it's a little fast. To compensate, I overline it with 12wt line
Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 AM

wtex50 will become famous soon enoughwtex50 will become famous soon enough

The Legend Ultra is a great rod. While I don't fish the surf... I can tell you that this rod is outstanding and is my go to 5 wt. As far a 10' versus 9' I would defer to those who fish the surf.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:23 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I fish the surf alot and usually the surf is either fishable or not fishable I use a 9' rod and i dont think an extra foot would make much difference if its rough. When its rough i usually fish somewhere else where it is calmer and more enjoyable.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I bought a 10' rod for casting big bass bugs around ponds that have tall weeds and grass, while the extra foot does keep my back cast higher and out of the grass and I get a little extra diatance with it, belive it or not that extra food adds a good deal of weight and extra to cast, it wears me out alot faster then my 9'. To boil it down, if I know I only have an hour or three to fish I bring the 10 if it's gonna be an all day trip or even over 4 hours I grab my 9'.
As for the rod you have I have only casted and used one for an hour on a fishing trip where a friend and I swapped rods, but for that hour it was a very sweet rod to use.
the thoughts of a hillbilly
Bear
Old 01-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

As bear mentioned, when you start getting into the higher weights of rods, 10' may be a little heavy. With a 9wt you are approaching the point of diminishing returns in rod length. The only way to tell is to try a 10 footer and see if it works for you. The exception to this may be the Orvis HELIOS saltwater rod. But even with this light weight rod Orvis doesn't make a 10 footer in a 9wt.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Tailwater is on a distinguished road

After reflecting on this, I concluded that I ought not combine a surf rod with one I intend to use for inshore marsh and structure fishing. I found a lightly used nine foot, eight weight St. Croix Ultra for a very, very attractive price and bought it yesterday. I might look around for a spey rod to use in the surf, but for the time being I saved so much on the rod, that I can afford a really nice saltwater reel with a disc drag, which I think is extremely important in this application. The gift St. Croix goes back to he shop and I will use the credit toward a nice reel.

With an eight weight line, what is the limitation on fly size? I am thinking nothing heavier than a 1/0 depending upon the tie. Recall that I am primarily interested in saltwater marsh fishing.

Thanks for all of these comments.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
With an eight weight line, what is the limitation on fly size? I am thinking nothing heavier than a 1/0 depending upon the tie. Recall that I am primarily interested in saltwater marsh fishing.
I always overline all my saltwater rods
On my 8wts I use both 9 and 10wt lines and I can throw nearly any fly I choose.
My four 8wts are not St Croixs, but I have a 9wt and a 10wt that are and I overline those as well.
I fish the 9wt with 10wt lines and the 10wt with 12wt lines

If you look at my photo on the "putting a face to the name" thread, that's a PacBay 8wt rod and the line is a Cortland 444 WF9F with 8" of the front taper cut off.....So it's probably more like a 9 1/2 wt line. The fly was a 2/0 flatwing of about 8"
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Riptide. I overline my rods as well. I fish mostly surf and finesse is not as important as getting past the breakers or moving a big fly. Overlining the rods makes it easier to shoot the line and turn big flies.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:03 AM

I overline on the rods I use on flats too, not just the surf.
You need to strive to make your cast with a maximum of two backcasts.
Overlining helps you to shoot the line quicker