The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 AM

kobato is on a distinguished road
Question Any good books or website for saltwater fly fishing?

Hi,
I have been fly fishing for 4 months in stillwater. I really love fly fishing. I am newbie, still have a lot to learn...
I am going to Hong Kong, I think it is a good place for saltwater fly fishing. Unfortunately, fly fishing is not popular at all in Hong Kong. there is no fly shop, not many people have ever heard of fly fishing..
so I am trying to get the equipment that I need before I leave US.
I saw this picture from a local fishing website where the guy caught this fish in Hong Kong using lure. He caught this fish from the shore. can anyone tell me what kind of fish is it? I am guessing snook? ...
what kind of equipment do I need? like rod weight, fly line sinking, intermediate? tippet, shock tippet?

Also, any good books/dvd or website for saltwater fly fishing?

thx everyone.
Attachment 1677
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 090201134139c069a7e0f40b2e.jpg (90.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-05-2009, 04:16 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Any good books or website for saltwater fly fishing?

I would say ASWF.org and lefy kreh's saltwater fly fishing are 2 of my favorites
as far a gear i would go with an 8 or 9wt rod.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Kobato-
That looks like a Barramundi (similar to our snook).

Are you going to HK for a visit and then returning to the US, or are you relocating for a job?
The reason I ask is because if you’re just visiting for a short time you may want to buy an outfit that you can use in HK, but is also primarily suited for the SW fishing you may do here in the US. If so, tell us where you live and what you’ll be fishing for, we can make some suggestions for gear you’ll get a lot of use out of.

Because of the limited FF opportunities over there it would be tough to put together an outfit, so I’d suggest buying something you’ll get the most use of in the future and making do with it in HK.

Not much fly fishing goes on in HK as you said, but there are a few guys that are into it. Your best bet for finding out more info on fishing HK would be to post on this sportfishing Asia forum, which has a big HK section. Here’s a link:
Sport Fishing Asia Forums

As far as books,
Fly Fishing in Saltwater by Lefty Kreh- probably the best all around book for SW FF

If you’re in the NE, these are very good:
Fly Rodding the Coast Ed Mitchell
Inshore Fly Fishing Lou Tabory

There are also great but more specialized books on fishing for different species like tarpon, bonefish, big game etc etc.

As far as tackle that will vary depending on the kind of fishing you’ll be doing, the most down the road but as says a good choice would be an 8 or 9 weight outfit for general inshore and a 9 or 10 for light tackle offshore. If I had to choose one rig for all around SW it would be a 9 weight, but a more versatile arsenal would be an 8 and a 10

Reel to match rod, with SW corrosion proof finish, smooth dual drag, backing capacity with fly line 200 yds of 20lb Dacron (for 8-9 weights) or 200 yds 30lb for 10 weight. Preferably CNC (machined rather than cast), with Type 3 Anodizing with cork drag IMHO but some may disagree.
Line: a weight forward floater will probably be the most useful from shore. If you wanted to add a sinking line on an extra spool, I’d probably add an Intermediate, if you will be doing most from shore. If you were doing your FF from a boat, I’d have either a floater or Intermediate and a full sink, fast sinking line. If you were planning to do both shore and boat, I’d go with a floater and a full sink.

Leader: These can be much simpler in SW. A good set up for a 8 or 9 weight inshore set up with floating line is a 7 foot leader 3 ‘ of 30lb to 2’ of 20lb to 2’ of 15lb. I just use Ande. Mono. You can tie larger flies (2, 1, 1/0, 2/0 and 3/0) directly to this, or if you’re going for smaller fish with smaller flies (6-2) add 3-5’ of 8-12lb mono or an overall length of 9-11’. A leader for a sinker or intermediate fly line can be even simpler- a straight shot of 20lb test mono 4-6’ long should be fine.

Shock tippet- you’ll need this if you run into for toothy fish. A short 6-12” length of 60lb test for use with larger flies for most fish (snook type stuff), and a pack of knot-able wire like Tyger Wire for sharks, barracuda etc.

Flies- just a general selection of basic stuff for inshore:
Deceivers 1/0 or 2/0,
Clousers 2 and 1/0,
Bendbacks size 1 for weedy shallow areas, and
Small bonefish type stuff for smaller fish you might run into- Gotcha’s 6, 4 and/or shrimpy crabby Borski patterns 4, 2,
Del Brown (merkin) Crab flies size 2

If you were to do some off shore stuff from a boat, add a few heavily weighted flies like :
Half and Halfs 3/0 for dredging deep channels oil rigs etc, and
Poppers or Crease Flies 2/0 in case you have stuff like Amberjacks or Mahi on top.

This is not a specific pattern list for HK, but just a selection of basic generic SW patterns that will cover a lot of different bases pretty much anywhere.

Hope this helps a bit. Tell us where you are and the types of fishing you plan to do beyond HK and a rough budget. Maybe we can suggest some specific stuff for you to consider that you'll get the most use out of after the trip too.

peregrines
Old 02-06-2009, 11:43 PM

kobato is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the information. It is really helpful.
I am relocating to Hong Kong for a job. I am not sure when I will come back to the US. I am from Arizona, there is not much saltwater fly fishing action going on here except driving couple of hours south to Mexico for fly fishing.
Thus, my equipments im getting are mainly for Hong Kong. I know that FF equipments depends on what kind of fish. However, I have no idea what target fish I am going after. from the Sport Fishing Asia Forums, here is the pictures of what people getting in Hong Kong.
Attachment 1686

Attachment 1687

Attachment 1688

Attachment 1689

My budget is about $200, that s all I can afford right now. rod, line, leader and tippet.
One thing I am sure that I will do most of my fishing from the shore for now, since I do not have $$ to afford a boat yet. I may rent a boat for a day or so if its not expensive.
I have a 7 wt rod right now, I dun think it built for saltwater, do you think I can still use it for saltwater if I wash it with freshwater after I fish?
For the leaders, hand tied leaders are handy, I am wondering if the knots in the leaders get easier to tangle when I cast?
Do people use tandem technique for saltwater?
For the books, I could not wait for you guys responds, I just ordered two books online. They are LL BEAN saltwater fly fishing (2001) by Lefty and Orvis Saltwater fly fishing(2008) I got too excited to purchase some books before reading you guys post..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 153.jpg (29.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 154.jpg (27.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 30333_.jpg (86.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 145.jpg (36.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 02-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Kobato-

Congrats on the job. It should be very interesting living over there. I think that the Asia forum is going to be your best resource over there for where to go, and hopefully you can meet some FF over there.

It sounds like you'll have opportunities for both FW and SW over there-- apparently there are pay to fish ponds (both SW and FW) as well as some fishing in reservoirs--black bass, carp and local fish, and it seems you'd need a fishing license to fish FW which seems to be available only in the month of August (???).

As far as the fish goes, it looks like the most common species you're likely to run into fishing SW from shore are small grunts and assorted small snappers--- don't know for shore but I would expect there are problems with over fishing and pollution. You may also have a shot at bigger species barramundi- that snook looking thing, barracuda and of course being SW, you never quite know what else might decide to swim by.

If you were going out in a boat a lot, and doing extended trips in the region-- overnight boat trips in the South China sea for mahi and tuna near the oil rigs, or trips to Singapore for sailfishing you'd need heavier and more substantial gear 10 weight and quality reel which could get pretty expensive.

If you were going to add another outfit to your aresenal, since you already have a 7 weight, i would add a 9 weight. Not so much for the size of the inshore fish, but for the size of the flies you might want to throw for barramundi. The only caveat I'd add is that for 200 bucks all in, the reel is likely to be not too substantial- cast aluminum with a simple disc drag.

To stay within your budget, I would consider a 9' 9 weight (4 piece for air travel) from LL Bean (streamlight 9 weight) or TFO (NXT 8/9 weight):

Streamlight Fly Rod Outfit, Saltwater 8-10 Wt. with Streamlight LA Reel: Streamlight Outfits at L.L.Bean about 240 bucks

Temple Fork Outfitters NXT Outfits about 210 dollars 8/9 weight

As far as your other questions,

ALWAYS spritz your gear with FW after use in SW, whatever you use to get the salt off. I good hosing of the rod especially the guides and reel seat, and the reel.

Leaders- the knots really don't get in the way at all. SOmetimes they pick up **** more easily (sea weed) but it's a simple thing to just pick it off when it happens. I use them all the time. A simple formula for use with a floating fly line for inshore tuff you'll be running into is 4/3/2-- 4' of 30lb, 3' of 25lb, and 2' of 15 or 12lb test.

Tandem- yes you can use tandem in SW, and it could be productive fishing around docks at night, swinging two or three flies in current. For sight fishing and repeated casting and retrieving, I'd probably just use a single fly to start.

Both of those books you ordered will give you a very good overview of the basics for SW FF. Between the two of them, I'd think you'll have all you need for right now. Read them over and if you have questions just ask here. There are a bunch of knowledgeable folks on this board with lots of FF experience in both FW and SW, including some in Asia and tons of resources on the web we can point you to if you're looking for specific info.

Good luck, we're all looking forward to your HK fishing reports.

peregrines