The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 07:18 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

Can't beat a good bluefish blitz, been with bob pop on the joisey beaches for them.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM

salmon_fly is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the mid-atlantic area, but would love to give this a try. Any of you guys have some suggestions on where to go, time of year, and patterns?

Tight lines!

Salmon_Fly
Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmon_fly View Post
I'm new to the mid-atlantic area, but would love to give this a try. Any of you guys have some suggestions on where to go, time of year, and patterns?

Tight lines!

Salmon_Fly
All spring through late fall, don't use expensive flies ar anything you really like because they destroy everything. Synthetics, Yak hair, and bucktail hold up the best. Anything in a baitfish pattern will work. Clousers work well too.
You my also want to consider a wire leader.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Ahhhhhhhhh memories! Theres another member here thatcan atest to this story but one day while out fishing the old Esso tanks in Atlantic Highlands NJ fish were literally jumping in our face! I could never remember how many we caught then, but it was just insane!

I can confirm.... We couldn't strip the fly too close or blues would come screaming through our waderless legs and taking them off the hook was just scary, their buddies would follow them in.. I am already looking forward to meeting them on the flats in May, A very important ritual
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Bluefish are a wild experience! I never fished them with flies but caught a lot of the Jersey shore when I was in high school. What ever you do keep your hands out of their mouths. One got hold of a friend one time on my Dads boat, we had to split the joint of its jaw with a hammer and screw driver to get it off him. He still has the scars from those teeth some 20yrs later. They are ferocious!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

They carry nasty diseases too. A guy I worked with nearly died from infection after a bluefish bite.
They're the meanest fish in the sea. They'll gorge themselves until they puke, then do it again. Killing for the thrill of it.
When you catch one, you can see it in their eyes that their just waiting 'till your close enough to rip your arm off.
To catch a big chopper on a fly is a battle.
Some folks don't like them because they destroy tackle. Not me, they're my favorite fish by far.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:52 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
They carry nasty diseases too. A guy I worked with nearly died from infection after a bluefish bite.
They're the meanest fish in the sea. They'll gorge themselves until they puke, then do it again. Killing for the thrill of it.
When you catch one, you can see it in their eyes that their just waiting 'till your close enough to rip your arm off.
To catch a big chopper on a fly is a battle.
Some folks don't like them because they destroy tackle. Not me, they're my favorite fish by far.
They do destroy tackle, I've fished clousers until there was nothing left but the eyes! How can you not have fun when you hook a 12lb Piranha!
Old 02-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They are the only fish I can think of that watch you like that while you are trying to unhook them and come away with all your fingers in ine piece.

Quote:
I fished for them all the time when I was in the Navy and stationed at Groton, CT. They are pound for pound the hardest fighting fish around. They are the most fun thing with fins I ever caught. By far my favorite fish too. It is something to watch a school of them going to town on a ball of Menhaden.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 PM

only adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the roughonly adipose is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down Re: Bluefish Blitz

In middle school, i was telling this kid i had gotten into the blues everyday after school and he desperately wanted to get one... So we went riding our bike along the bay following them until they came in close enough to cast too... He had a little trouble hooking up, but finally got one! I told him to be careful, but i guess he was too excited cause that sucker bit the tip of his thumb off, blood everywhere. I told him keep pressure on it, while i landed a few more.. It takes a lot for me to walk away from a perfectly good blitz and it was only the tip of his finger..
Old 02-20-2011, 07:11 PM

floorabove is on a distinguished road

If the yellow eyed demons grew as big as Sharks, Quint would have been hunting a blue in Jaws, instead of a great white.