The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 10:13 AM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default What flies to tie

I'm going to te outer banks of NC for about 3 days in the begining of june. I was wondering what people have had success with as far as flies go out there. I dont have any salt flies but want to go ahead and start tying some before i get out there. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What flies to tie

Boone,

Can’t go wrong with a few basics like Clousers (chartreuse over white plus a few other color combinations) and deceivers (all white, blue over white). You can tie deceivers conventionally with saddle feather tails, or just use bucktail. Some crab patterns like a Del Brown’s Permit Fly (aka Merkin) for drum, reds, and a few poppers (edgefoam slip on 2/0 long shanked hook and bucktail tail) or Crease flies would also be fun to toss if blues or specs are around. If you have access to a boat, something like a heavily weighted half and half (chartreuse, black, white) would be good for getting deep in channels. For the poopers or crease flies you'd want SW long shanked hooks, but you could tie everything else on a SW Mustad 34007 or 3407. Sharpen them up a bit with a Luhr Jensen Hook Hone- It's a file type deal with a yellow plastic handle about 6 bucks.

Brian Horsley and his wife Sarah Gardner are some of the top guides down there, and their site is a source of great info, and you may want to consider a trip with them, your chances will exponentially go way up with a boat, and their mad skillz. You might be able to arrange a split charter with another angler and/or do a day if bucks are an issue:
Outer Banks Flyfishing Information Brian Horsley and Sarah Gardner Flat Out and Fly Girl Charters Oregon Inlet

Here’s a good article for you by Brian that covers DIY wading, flies and where to go as well as other opportunities (inshore and off with a boat).:
Fly Tyer Magazine, Fly Tying, Fly Recipes, Fly Patterns, Fly Fishing - Get In on the Outer Banks

I would also advise you to bring along a spool of knottable wire (like Tyger Wire) for bluefish, and a stripping basket for casting and managing fly line in the water. It’ll greatly improve your distance. You can make one out of a Rubber maid dishpan and some shock cord. Drill or burn a hole with a heated nail into the rim on each short side, and run the hooks of the shock cord through the holes. You can tie knots in the shock cord to get the right tension around you. Flip it up out of the way so you can see where you’re walking, and flip it down to cast, keeping the slack line in the basket. It’ll keep it out of weeds, and current and there will be less water resistance than casting with line on the water with a floater--- and if you’re using a sinking or intermediate line it would be crucial, since you’d have to rip line up out of the water to cast if you didn’t have the basket.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 02-28-2009, 12:40 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Hey boone
Peregrines pretty much covered it all. I would like to add if you are taking a 4x4 to drive on the beach there will be alot of areas closed due to bird nesting here is a link that will let you know what is opened and closed Cape Hatteras National Seashore - Current Interactive Beach Access Map using Google Earth (U.S. National Park Service) and here is a link to some local fishing reports Red Drum Tackle Shop Forums - Powered by vBulletin You may want to bring a back up spinning rod it can get to windy to fly fish but that usually only happens if I am there.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM

boone is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone.

I wont be taking a guide out, i'm just going down to see some close friends and will use their boat.

Jim thanks for the heads up but i've been there a couple of times since that happened just never fly fished down there.
Isnt it nuts though! All the best fishing spots are out now! There is a lot of stuff that has been closed un fairly and a lot of info has been withheld. Anybody know that the largest nesting site of the pipered pulver was/is ontop of the lowes foods....
Old 05-13-2009, 12:33 AM

r00tuuu is on a distinguished road

Boone Just thought I'd chime in withe some good spots. Off island behind bodie island light, the propeller slough. both good wading spots for reds and trout. either sie of oregon inlet from boat or shore. As for flies I'm not sure why probably water color but clousers in green over chartreuse seems to outfish other colors by like 3 or 4 to 1. Any tackle shop usualy will point to some good spots.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:59 AM

uni2uniknot has a spectacular aura aboutuni2uniknot has a spectacular aura about

Hi Boone,

I have fished the Outer Banks of North Carolina for 20 years. Unfortunately there have been drastic changes there with regards to beach access for vehicles related to nesting sites.

Fly fishing the surf can be challenging. If the fish are thick, so are the surfcasters.

Fly fishing the sound has always been productive for us. The fly pattern I strongly recommend is the Clouser Minnow tied in white-chartreuse, white-red, and red-brown. Weighted eyes are a big help. Flounder, trout and redfish can be caught in the sound regularly. Look for the deeper cuts and channels that you can wade out to. The Canadian Hole just South of Avon and North of Buxton has several fishable channels. Try to fish early in the morning or late in the afternoon. It is called the Canadian Hole because many Canadians vacation there for the excellent wind surfing.

Best of luck...don't forget the camera!

Uni2
Old 05-17-2009, 04:23 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

I agree with uni about the sound. Only been there once and with no boat, but the sound seemed more like a realistic fly fishing area to me.
Decievers worked well for me. Even flounder on them.