The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:07 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flounder on the fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cliff View Post
For most anglers, a intermediate or sinking line will work best in the surf so you can have a direct connection to the fly, without waves making the connection wiggly.
That's just it Cliff. In my experience that's not the case. Contrary to conventional wisdom, you don't have any less contact with the fly than you do with a subsurface line plus you have better control over the line.
Try it.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:43 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

To catch a Flounder or Fluke I've found it very effective to take up smoking. When ever I fish Stripers or Blue fish if I take the time to light a cigarette before I start my retrieve (especially with a clouser) I will usually start my retrieve with a Flounder waiting for my fly to move.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
To catch a Flounder or Fluke I've found it very effective to take up smoking. When ever I fish Stripers or Blue fish if I take the time to light a cigarette before I start my retrieve (especially with a closer) I will usually start my retrieve with a Flounder waiting for my fly to move.
I have this same experience as well....The time when I target fluke (summer flounder) is in the fall when the young of the year bait fish are schooling near shore. The flounder will follow the schools of bait right into the surf zone and attack at rod's distance away.d
Whether you're ragging a Clouser or other bottokm level fly seems to make no difference as the flounder is a fast swimming fish and has no problem attacking baitfish at any speed.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I find it amazing that they are always there and I rarely take the time to catch one... I've actually stepped on Flounder while wading through the bay stalking Stripers. I guess we always want what we can't have...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 AM

qualey99 is on a distinguished road

Swirl,
As an Oral Surgeon, I am going to have to pass on the smoking suggestion, but I will take time to watch the clouds before starting my retrieve.LOL When we fish the surf in Gulf Shores, we usually catch lady fish until our arms hurt. They are no good to eat, but they are really a lot of fun on a 5 wt rod, put on a nice aerial show for all the kids that are on the beech watching, and make the guys with heavy tackle wish that they were at least catching something.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qualey99 View Post
Swirl,
As an Oral Surgeon, I am going to have to pass on the smoking suggestion, but I will take time to watch the clouds before starting my retrieve.LOL When we fish the surf in Gulf Shores, we usually catch lady fish until our arms hurt. They are no good to eat, but they are really a lot of fun on a 5 wt rod, put on a nice aerial show for all the kids that are on the beech watching, and make the guys with heavy tackle wish that they were at least catching something.

Watching the clouds may be a healthier alternative... Of course I had to Google a Lady Fish because I've never seen one before. Slim fish with big tails, must be a good time on a 5WT.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Ladyfish are alot of fun, especially if you manage to hook one of the freaks thats bigger than your wrist. Poor man's tarpon indeed! And yes, they are AMAZINGLY slimy.

Oh wait, you said "slim". Well yeah, they're that too. A 16" Ladyfish will be the diameter of a bratwurst. Btw, Texans call them Skipjack, and generally have no idea that's a term y'all use for a tuna.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Jfish is on a distinguished road

i would have never thought that catching flounder on a fly is even possible... but what do i know? hahaha