The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:35 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about
Default going to Aruba

going to aruba and wondering if anyone had a reccomendation for a packable rod and reel combo that I can fly with and if anyone has been there fishing maybe where to go. Oh yeah time is of the essence
Old 03-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going to Aruba

Okbow

Aruba isn't really a fly fishing “destination.” But I’m sure you can find some places to fish and something to throw at. For info on Aruba FF
Fly Fishing Aruba | Guided Tours, Aruba Fishing Information and more
Fly Fishing - Official Aruba Community Forum

As far as a rod, you’d want a four piece to be able to check over head.. I’d probably look for an 8 or 9 weight, and a SW proof reel with disc drag and 200 yds of 20lb backing capacity and a “tropical” weight forward floating line like an SA Bonefish.

If you’re on a limited budget an LL Bean SW outfit (Quest II for 140 or Streamlite for 200) or for a bit more a TFO Pro for about 150 and a Lamson Konic 3.5 for 140 or a decent Orvis reel for 80-150. Many, many options above that. But these would be good for bass/steelhead as well as light inshore for specs ,reds, stripers etc when you get home.

Good luck,

mark
Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 PM

okbow68 has a spectacular aura aboutokbow68 has a spectacular aura about

fly fishing is not the primary reason for the trip, thanks for the tips on the rods i will check them out
Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

No, I figured that FF wasn't the reason for the trip, it's just that from what I gather not too many people fly fin there and there aren't extensive bonefish flats, and access to a fishable beach might be a bit of a problem.

But I'm sure if you hunt around a little and can get some leads for a beach you can have a blast.

You can get into all kinds of flies, but a basic assortment of some size 1 Clousers, something like a size 4 Gotcha (or Crazy Charlie or crab pattern) maybe a few 1/0 deceivers and a 2/0 popper or crease fly or two and you can throw at anything you see-- that might be anything from bonefish to jacks, snappers, snook, cuda or even small sharks.

I'd try tying a few heavily weighted 2/0 half and halfs too if you think you might get a chance to go out in a boat. Although a sinking or intermediate would be better to poke around in deep water holes, it might get you down deep enough with a floater to get whacked by something over a reef or wreck, along the edge of a channel, along the edge of moving water near bridge pilings etc.

Good luck, have a great trip.

mark
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 AM

uni2uniknot has a spectacular aura aboutuni2uniknot has a spectacular aura about

Aruba is a great place for bonefish, jacks and baracudas.

There is a small island, DePalm Island, that is a 10 minute ferry ride from Aruba. The ferry travels across a channel that is full of cudas and jacks.

On DePalm island, there is a restaurant and outdoor sunning deck. Snorkeling is the big draw.

If you have an 8weight rod and clouser minnows, take a slow stroll around the island, it is a small island. You will see big bonefish on the flats that surround the island.

On Aruba, there are beaches where you will not see another individual. I especially remember "baby beach" and a beach near the prison. I have caught bonefish and permit in these locations

Traveling to Aruba taught me never to travel to a warm destination without a rod and reel!

Best of luck!

Uni2
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 AM

riekky is on a distinguished road

Uni2,

The beach near the prison is called Boca Grande (so I believe). Didn't the wind bored your casting due the eastern wind?

Greetings
Old 06-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Hello guys,

Next monday I´ll be leaving to Aurba for my well deserved vacation.

I´ve booked one trip with a guide to fish at tarpon.

I hope I have done my homework well and catch me some bonefish, cuda, snapper, tarpon or any other species.

Some last minute tips are still welcome.

Wish me luck and hopefully I can post some nice reports and pics when I´m in Aruba or when I back home.

Riekky
Old 06-29-2011, 09:34 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Riekky,

One thing that I have started doing for friends visiting who want to wade for bonefish is to tie 4 inches of #3 Malin wire to a yellow and white deciever (with flash) and Albright a short length of 30" fluoro to the wire.

On the on the other end of the fluoro, I tie a Duncan loop. Then I tell them to put it in their top pocket and go after bones. When they see a nice cuda just hanging in ambush mode, all they do is slip the duncan loop over the bonefish hook and snug it up.

Those guys from CT, NY and NJ get bored looking for bones and that way they don't feel so bad after hooking up to a 3 or 4 foot cuda.

And if the bones do show when the cuda rig is on, all they have to do is snip off the deceiver with their clippers, and they're good to go.

Have a great trip. And if you don't come back and tell us how you did, we're gonna be pissed at you!!

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by wjc; 06-29-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:11 AM

Jim,

Thanks for the advice.

But won't the cuda break you off due a #15 tippet you use for bonefishing?

Connecting wire to mono or FC with an albright knot never last long with me. Somehow my connection breaks.

I'll let you all know how I did. Fish or no fish. Three last think I want is you folks being pissed of me.

Riekky
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Riekky,

I used the wrong symbol for "pound" in my post above. It was supposed to read "a short length of 30# fluoro". A short length of 30 inch fluoro doesn't make a whole lot of sense, sorry.

#3 wire won't cut through a 30# fluoro Albright with the pressure you can put with a 12 or 15 # tippet. That tippet size is fine for large cuda (and other large fish). The standard tippet strength for big tarpon a while back was 16 lb (for the 16 Lb IGFA class) and before that it was 12 lb. Everyone was going for the first tarpon to break 200 lbs on those tippet strengths.

We had a poster in here for a while who was after that 12 lb test record years ago.

Cheers,
Jim