The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 11:17 AM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Default why not use a flatstalker?

for ppl that like to go for reds and specks on the fly, why not use a flatstalker? ive been lookin for a fishing kayak for a while, and then i saw one of these flatstalkers. its everything ive been lookin for: you can stand easily to fly fish, you can throw a trollin motor on the back, you basically cant flip it, runs in like 3 inches of water etc. this thing is awesome, i think im gonna try to rent one from FTU and try it out soon!

Flatstalker.com FLATSTALKER BLOG
Walk on Water with a Flatstalker®
Old 03-08-2009, 12:09 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default A kayak has some advantages: weight, range and seas

Although the Flats Stalker might be a good solution for some (people that fish calm water close to the launch site or can carry/tow it to a location with their standard draft boat), I do not think that it offers the range of operations of a kayak.

I have a Hobie Revolution, and anyone can propel it at 3 mph without any effort. I do not know how long it would take to paddle the Flats Stalker 3 or 4 miles (esp. against even a mild breeze). You often have to get to the creeks or flats by covering some open water. A kayak can handle moderate chop and swells; the Flats Stalker could not. A kayak is much lighter; and therefore, you can launch from many places with ease.

If standing is the big barrier to you using a kayak, just buy a set of outriggers. You stand without any problems.

Look at the Hobie website (click on fishing) to see what is possible. Also, Hobie has a new Pro Angler coming out; it is a cross between a kayak and a boat.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM

Default Re: A kayak has some advantages: weight, range and seas

ive read many places that the flatstalker can handle wind and chop with ease. paddling in wind/chop is a pain but poling is simple. throw a trolling motor and a solar trickle charger on your battery and you could go anywhere you want. you have the height advantage too. you can actually stand and walk around on that thing also, cant do that on a kayak. i like the idea of sight casting while standing on the seat. being able to walk around the bow of it and pull a fish right up would be really cool too.

a guy on texaskayakfisherman.com bought the flatstalker, trolling motor, and battery for $1500. he said that was still $300 cheaper than some hobie he was looking at and he has no regrets about the buy. i have even seen a pic of one of these things rigged for giggin flounders with some lights and everything, cool beans man

i agree though, if you deal with any kind of surf, the flatstalker is not for you. its called flatstalker for a reason, and in the situation it is designed for, i think it outperforms any kayak. just throw the anchor over when you start drifting in the wind, problem solved.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 PM

also seems like you could throw a small 2hp outboard on there instead of a trolling motor. no batteries to charge and probably more reliable. i feel like i could work on a small outboard if need be, but i wouldn't know where to start on a trolling motor. honda has a 2hp outboard that weighs like 27lbs with fuel and oil. a trolling motor and car battery would weigh more than that.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:39 PM

mcA896 is on a distinguished road

Isn't the whole point of a kayak to sneak up stealthily on fish and to get into places where carrying may be required and a boat could not get to? A motor may defeat the purpose of it all.

Seems like if you want a motor that bad just get a flats boat or a small skiff.