The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Jack Crevalle, Roosterfish, Houndfish etc, what do i use?

ohh i see what your saying now, your description at the end made it more clear. well if i had known that i would have bought more line earlier today lol. on hand i have: 30lb flouro, some fairly old 20lb and 17lb mono (the 17lb is a green color though, and both spools are a few yrs old, but have been kept inside yr around), then the 60lb ande. so i guess i could do everything you said, but im gonna have like a 2 ft section of green mono... plus the mono i already have might be too weak? is it a no go?

and i think the guy said he was using a 9wt, didn't ask him anything about his backing though. will jacks get into my backing??? i feel like ill mostly be catching jacks and reef type fish
Old 03-13-2009, 12:18 AM

http://www.villaixtapa.com/images/sa...on_Rentals.jpg

just found this arial view of my beach. i have no clue what hotel im in but im fairly certain its on this beach. the whole things not all that long, im hoping im close to either end of the beach so i could fish the rocks or the cut into the marina.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I'd bet your mono is fine- give it a yank just to test it. I wouldn't worry about the color, either the 17 or 20 would be fine.

The thing about SW is----- ya never know. There's all kinds of stuff down there, and anything can show up at any time. It can be flat calm one minute no sign of life, the next minute it'll look like depth charges are going off with jacks, roosters or whatever busting bait on the surface. Jacks are tough fish, and you can easily hook one that takes you into the backing. You'll have a blast if you hook one.

While you're down there, in addition to doing the beach thing and fishing from shore, you might want to ask around and see if you get get a guy to take you out in a panga (small skiff without a top so you'll have room to backcast). A boat will open up a lot of possibilities and you can cover a lot more water. Or better yet see if you can get a hold of Ed Kunze to take you out for a day or half day. His contact info is at the bottom of this link:
Fishing ixtapa Zihuatanejo - Chasing Jacks

If you google "ixtapa fly fishing" you should see some other guides, but Ed looks to be The Man. If he is booked, he could also turn you on to someone that would be good.

mark
Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 AM

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

At the bottom of that long sandy beach it looks like a bluff with two sets of rocks off the beach and a submerged bar off the bluff falling sharply off to deeper water....... I would pound that pretty hard. That is exactly the kind of place a popper could really produce, with something rocketing out of the deeper water there to ambush bait as it's swept up over the bar.

There is usually a sideways sweep along the shore in most places, and if you can figure out the tide and currents, there will likely be a time when a rip forms right off that point as the water moves out of that "dish" along the beach, probably on a dropping tide and/or flows into it on a rising tide. Moving water would be a very good time to be there with a cold cerveza. And a popper.

Double check your knots....

mark
Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM

I talked to a guy at the fly shop yesterday that got back from around where I'm going a few days ago. He picked out some streamer ish style flies that worked well for him, can't remember the name though. With streamer style should I cast into the surf and do short and sharp retrieves like a bait fish? What about with crease flies? And poppers? I'm assuming I'm just trying to get attention with jerks, not really look natural?

Can't remember what fly I was reading about but I read to just cast into the surf and let the current have it's way do
Old 03-13-2009, 04:20 PM

sry my last post meant to end saying "so i thought id ask" not "do".
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Jack-

Basically if you are fishing blind or to sighted fish in current, you want to cast up current (assuming there is a sideways sweep along the beach) so that your fly swings into the fish.

With poppers and crease flies, the general rule of thumb is the deeper the water the more splash you'd want to make, but roosters and jacks are not shy. Make as big a commotion as you can. Essentially the look you are going for is a fish fleeing for it's life in wild eyed terror. Just keep an eye on birds, they might go after it too. Jacks are pretty competitive, and will actively chase down flies. If they're around, you may get 10 of them charging your fly.

With deceivers and other streamers, cast up current as well, let sink a bit, and strip strip pause, strip strip pause it in as it swings, like a baitfish swimming along oblivious to the big dark shape closing in...

I try and keep the rod tip low so that there is a direct connection to the fly with a minimum of slack in the line what ever you're using. .

If you're fishing for assorted stuff along the sandy beach in shallow water with a clouser, you want it to be puffing along the bottom. Depending on the depth, wait a it before retrieving to let it get down. When you hit deeper water, where you can't see the bottom, count mississipis-- cast count to 10, cast to same spot, count to 20, etc.

A good way to "prospect" for fish by blind casting, when you can't see fish, is to cast out a few times at different angles up current, then take 20 steps down current repeat etc. That way you can cover a whole section of beach. I'd do that along that sandy beach in the middle of the pic.

When you reach spots with structure, like that point beneath the bluffs, that would be a good area to spend some time casting repeatedly around those rocks, or in their general direction of you can't reach them.

It can be a hit or miss thing--- they're either going to be there or not. If they are there, I think you have a very good chance of hooking up. These are very aggressive fish, so if they're around and you throw something out there, THEY'LL find YOU. Try and get a sense of if/when a rip current sets up off that bluff. It looks like a perfect spot for one and there should be one setting up there at some specific stage of an incoming or outgoing tide. So if you can get a sense of the times of high and low tides, the water will be generally moving fastest midway between peak high and dead low. Here’s a chart showing times of high and low tides:
Ixtapa, Mexico 6 Day Surf & Weather Forecast

And here’s a fishing report:
Zihuatanejo-Ixtapa Mexico Weekly Sport Fishing Report

When do you blast off? Tomorrow? I hope you have a great trip.

Good luck!

mark
Old 03-14-2009, 12:31 AM

ah i see, man you sure are a lot of help! sounds like youve done this a few times!!

one problem, i cant get the blood know between the ande and the 17lb mono to work. i think its because the ande is like 4 times the diameter of the 17lb. ill look for a different type of connection that i think could work.

and ya i leave in the morning, im really excited. i talked a buddy into taking a rod so ill have a fishing buddy, hoping he wont regret it!!
Old 03-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Well i like the doubled tippet blood knot to shock better, but if you're having trouble use this one:
How to tie a shock tippet to a leader for game fishing

It's lot easier, and you don't have to double the 17lb. You'll need a tube (or thin coffee straw) or nail to tie it.

Good luck, hope this catches you in time before you blast off.

mark
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 AM

is that a nail knot?

will a surgeons knot work as well for what i need it for? i just tied 3 with surgeons knot. got too tired and quit to pack and go to bed though. i got an iphone so hopefully ill be able to check this place from mexico.