The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 PM

hungrytrout is on a distinguished road
Default Self Guided Fishing in Tulum Mexico

I am heading down to Tulum Mexico in November and looking to do some flyfishing. I am an experienced trout fisherman and guide, with limited saltwater experience. Will I have any luck on my own shore fishing, any flats in walking distance, or should I just break down and pay for a guide?
Thanks for the help.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Guided Fishing in Tulum Mexico

I've never fished there but the news media is filled with stories like this:
There were more than 6000 drug-related murders in Mexico last year, and cartels are dumping decapitated bodies in the streets every single day. Just last month, a retired general hired to dismantle the cartels running rampant in Cancun, was kidnapped and brutally tortured. His body was left on the side of the road.

With the violence out of control, some in the Mexican government feared the brazen drug runners might start singling out tourists, much like terrorists have done in Bali and Mumbai.

The State Department has issued a travel warning, urging Americans to use caution when traveling there. So as the annual migration of party- seeking students begins, parents have one more safety concern, and spring breakers have one more reason to keep vigilant.

Be careful! If it were me and I still planned to go I would hire a local guide.

Larry
Old 03-23-2009, 09:44 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

We were planning on going to Tulum and Punta Allen next year but the current political situation is not too good. Save that trip for later when it cools down.

There are a number of guide services around the area. If you're doing it by yourself, you can fish off the beaches but you will need a Mexican fishing license. All beaches in Mexico are public but be aware that in front of major resorts the beaches are somewhat less public. Another place to try is at Boca Paila. There are some wadeable flats there on the bay side and the sea side.

Buen viaje y suerte.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

here's a couple of stories about self guided fishing in that region
Quote:
To be fair, I should note that we only fished Xcalak (it's pronounced ("Shka-lak") for four days, and that we pointedly ignored suggestions to hire a guide; on a Gartside expedition, one survives on one's own skills, going fishless if necessary. Hiring a guide is considered both decadent and an admission of failure akin to having a pizza delivered while scaling Mount Everest.
The Circus at the End of the World
The Great Bonefish Giveaway: Page 1