The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is There a Real Advantage to Longer Rods?

I've been looking for a rod to fish the Delaware Bay and River, and also do
some light saltwater along the New Jersey coast. A guy at a shop told me
a 9'6" length works better than 9'. It seems to make sense, but I just don't
know anyone else that fishes SW. I'd like to get a 7 or 8 wt that can be
used for LMB, and saltwater. I just don't feel like swinging anything heavier
than that, especially since it will be used mostly for the Delaware River.
I'll be fishing from a canoe or wading, so....opinions?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is There a Real Advantage to Longer Rods?

The general idea is that rods over 9' are better for mending and line management. The standard Steelhead rod (though this is a diminishing standard) is a 9'6" 8wt. This generally suprises us saltwater folk who think of 9' as the ideal/norm. We tend to think of shorter as specialized tools for hitting tight spots where snook and such live.

In general, I think 9' and shorter rods work better at throwing tight loops, and longer rods make it a bit tougher to throw tight loops that beat the wind. YMMV.

I referred to the "diminishing standard" because spey and switch rods have become so commonplace for Steelhead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:44 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cliff,
Thanks for the info. I was wondering what difference 6" could make, but
there's a world of difference between my 8'6" and 9' 5/6 wts. I'm just afraid
I'll be standing in the surf, and ______ fill in the blanks .
Old 03-21-2009, 01:53 AM

standby
Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I fish SW most of the time and find the 8.5' to 9' rod about ideal,my favorite is an 8.8'.What you will find with a 9.5' rod is the extra length will cause wrist and arm fatigue.I still use my Sage 890 RPL for surf/jetty duty and a couple of years ago I bought a 896 RPL.I quickly found out that the rod was a little slower and heavier and got rid of it.If you need a rod longer than 9' for the surf,get a 12' or longer 2 handed rod.I also fish FW from a canoe and a 9.5' will make casting and landing fish that much harder.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

all of my SW rods are 9' so I don't have any experience to speak to longer... but why 9' 6" and not 10'? It sounds pretty arbitrary to make a statement like that.

I'd look for a rod you can cast well and would be less concerned with overall length. If mending line is an issue, you'll have a lot more luck mending a floater with a 9 foot rod than mending an intermediate with a 9' 6"...

I don't think there is anything magic about a 9' 6" rod that would give you any particular practical advantage in the surf over a 9', and longer rods can be a PITA if you are in a boat. I don't know the TSA guidelines off hand, but you might want to make sure that anything over 9' in a 4 piece rod plus tube conforms to their guidelines for overhead luggage.

mark
Old 03-21-2009, 08:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the time I fish a 9' rod, but in the surf I use a 10 footer and I know a bunch of guys who would think that's too short.
They use 10'6" rods.
The extra length is all about mending over breakers
Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 AM

Thanks Guys!
I posted "Standby" above because someone offered to trade me a Sage
9'6" 8wt for some R/C gear I no longer use. I thought it was an Xi2, but then
found out it was a VT2. Sooo.....Is the extra 6" going to kill me?
Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

When I bought a rod for steelhead, the shop guy told me the 9'6" rod would be more tiring to cast over the course of a day, as opposed to a 9' rod. I took his advice and got the 9'er.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:17 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I fish alot of saltwater and always use 9' rod. The problem with longer rods when you are wading is that standing waist deep trying to land a fish with a 10' rod can be an adventure. Between dealing with the surf, and the fish I wouldn't want to add a longer rod to the equation.