Fort Myers Red

lukewl

Reaction score
Came home to visit my family for the holidays and got out on the flats for some reds. It was way too windy so they werent tailing and were very hard to spot cruising but we found a few behind some mangrove island cover that were tailing. I hooked two, one spit the hook and this one I landed. Beautiful fish!

Also got this baby off the parents dock. More to come soon! Im here until the 30th.

FrankB2

Reaction score
Nice! I might be in Tampa next week visiting my wife's family. If I go, it'll be a fishing trip for me. After freezing weather for a month, I MUST fish! :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that is cool! Catching Reds in the winter and you don't even have to layer up with everything you own to stay warm! Keep the photos coming they are great!

Larry

darwin

Reaction score
I gotta ask this, are they good to eat? Certainly big enough but .............
I grew up south of New Orleans and redfish & speckled trout where a staple on the table. We kept the smaller (under 5#) ones for the table, sold, returned or gave away the large ones. Nothing wrong with the big ones, just preferred the small.

darwin

Reaction score
How are they when it comes to filleting, lots of bones or are they an easy clean?
It has been a Long time, much like any fish if I remember correctly. Knife down along the spine, then remove the rib bones. Flip it over and skin it. Much like doing a salmon, but the scales are much bigger and harder.

piscatorial_phd

Reaction score
Took my first few Reds on fly last summer at NC OBX. I didn't realize how strong they were. I can't wait to go back and try again. I was using a hot pink popper, pretty small #4 and fishing in about 8" of water in the coastal marsh.