The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Lafitte Redfish (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/saltwater-fly-fishing/8686-lafitte-redfish.html)

qualey99 03-30-2009 02:40 PM

Lafitte Redfish

4 Attachment(s)
We had a good day on Saturday out of Lafitte Harbor south of New Orleans. When the wind got over 30 mph I quit trying to fly fish and went with plastic on a spinning rig, but I got one really nice one on a chartreuse and white clouser before it got bad. Even my new 8 wt helios couldn't manage the wind with me at the controls. Obviously I need more practice. We were out in the marsh fishing the small duck ponds.

mcnerney 03-30-2009 05:39 PM

Re: Lafitte Redfish

Nice batch of redfish! I know what you mean, even here in WY, I usually either give up or try to find a spot that is somewhat sheltered when the wind gets to 30 mph. Its pretty hard to cast in that kind of wind.

Larry

BigCliff 03-30-2009 09:21 PM

Looks like a good day on the water. Crappy one for the fish though.

King Fisher 04-19-2009 08:58 AM

Larry,
welcome to my neck of the woods. That's where I go to fish 3 times per year. Love Lafitte. I was even down there 2 days before Katrina hit, slamming the reds like never before. What a trip....cut a little short, but outstanding fishing. Headed down there in a few weeks for my first trip of '09. Stay in touch and let's compare notes. It seems the wind follows me down there everytime I go. It blew hard on all 3 of my trips last year. Hoping for better conditions this year. Not many places to get out of the wind in that marsh system, but I love it. Do you have a skiff, or do you just get a guide whenever you go? I got a guide my first trip down there...learned plenty. I know it well now. I get some looks in my skiff, but I can get real skinny in those duck ponds. If you're not a guide, or with a guide, down there, a bay boat is a recipe for disaster. I'm afraid I learned the hard way, as I had a bay boat for a year or so and traded in for a skiff. No fear of getting stuck. Only drawback is it's slower and can't cross big water, but as you probably know, not really a need to go far down there. We takeoff right out of Lafitte Harbor and head for the marshes. Man, I 'm getting stoked as I type this.

Take care.

mcnerney 04-19-2009 02:15 PM

King Fisher

I live in WY so I know what your talking about when it comes to wind and like you say on the marshes, in a lot of places where I fish there is no getting out of it, I just try to reposition so I'm not casting directly into a head wind, but when it really blows there is nothing you can do but wait it out. It will usually settle down after 30 minutes or so. I don't own a skiff, I have a drift boat, it wouldn't be suitable for your type of fishing. I know nothing about red fishing other than I want to give it a try. When I go to new areas I always try to get a guide to help my learning curve, and usually it pays big dividends.

Keep us posted on how your next trip goes!

Larry

uni2uniknot 05-07-2009 06:00 PM

Hey Guys,

Sounds like you guys have a great time in Lafitte. Can you give us alittle more detail about time of year to fish, places to stay, nearest airport, favorite fly patterns...etc.

Thanks!

Uni2

King Fisher 05-08-2009 04:31 AM

Well done Qualey. That's the thing about redfishing in LA, even when conditions are less than favorable, you always seem to catch redfish. Sorry you weren't able to do more fly fishing, but the one you did get is a beauty. Were you able to find any clean water in the ponds. I know the main water was muddy due to Mississippi, but I've heard the ponds were clean, if you can get to them. I'm leaving in 6 days and can't wait.
Which cabin or bunkhouse did you stay in.
Any tips would be appreciated--ie. area you fished.

Thanks,

Rick

King Fisher 05-08-2009 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qualey99 (Post 54721)
We had a good day on Saturday out of Lafitte Harbor south of New Orleans. When the wind got over 30 mph I quit trying to fly fish and went with plastic on a spinning rig, but I got one really nice one on a chartreuse and white clouser before it got bad. Even my new 8 wt helios couldn't manage the wind with me at the controls. Obviously I need more practice. We were out in the marsh fishing the small duck ponds.

#7 Today, 05:31 AM
King Fisher
Registered Member Join Date: Apr 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well done Qualey. That's the thing about redfishing in LA, even when conditions are less than favorable, you always seem to catch redfish. Sorry you weren't able to do more fly fishing, but the one you did get is a beauty. Were you able to find any clean water in the ponds. I know the main water was muddy due to Mississippi, but I've heard the ponds were clean, if you can get to them. I'm leaving in 6 days and can't wait.
Which cabin or bunkhouse did you stay in.
Any tips would be appreciated--ie. area you fished.

Thanks,

Rick

qualey99 05-08-2009 10:45 AM

Thanks guys, This trip was back at the end of March or early April, I can't remember. My 2 son-in-laws had a great time, as well as me. The red fishing in the marsh is usually really good from October through May or June, you just have to watch the weather. I use primarily heavy clousers in olive and white, or chautreuse and white. Crab patterns are supposed to work well, but I have not been particularly lucky with them. A lot of the guys love spoon flies in red or gold or red/gold. I have used them very successfully, but find them really difficult to cast. I have been staying up in north Louisiana for the last few weeks fishing Caddo, Dorcheat Bayou, Big Cypress Bayou, and Lake Gilmer over in Texas.

King Fisher 05-09-2009 07:23 AM

I may have different strategies, but I fish the marsh year round--those fish are in ponds pretty much the entire year, but some say May and June are prime time. My favorite flies are my "Bayou Bengal", my combination "Kwan spoon" fly, and Toad style flies.

High Tails & Tight Lines,

King Fisher