The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 PM

Hooked is on a distinguished road
Default Saltwater reels

I am going to build an 8 wt for redfish. I was wanting to know what you guys would recommend for a reel. I am wanting to stay around the $220 mark. I was looking at a Redington Rise series or an Abel. Any other suggestion are welcome. Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Saltwater reels

8wt Abel for $220? Maybe on eBay sold by a meth addict, or beat up bad.

I'd go with a Lamson Velocity. Machined from barstock, totally sealed drag, American made and purty.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:08 PM

texasflycaster is on a distinguished road

I hadn't heard that that particular Lamson is from barstock. It must be, but their site does not specifically say that it is. I think they use the same drag in all their reels. TFO has a new line of reels that are sweet. It may not be a big name, but they feel good.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:16 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping the Ross Rhythm I just bought is as saltwater worthy as Ross
claims. I bought mine from LL Bean, and they were blowing out spare spools
for $60.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There always has to be an oddball in the group. I use an Orvis Odyssey III & I have a IV also. They are an after market item but can be had off eBay if you're not in a hurry. If you are gonna do it soon then there are lots of reels that will handle salt fishing.

The odyssey is heavy but the drag is very impressive. They also hold up to 300 yds. of 36lb micron salt backing. I use them for king salmon in the estuaries and rivers. They will stop a very strong fish from running the show.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I called LL Bean because I'd like to pick up a Ross Rhythm 3 spool for $60. They told me the spools wouldn't be in till June 19 and would be $89.95. Oh well.

I'd like to add the Galvan Rush 8 to the list. I'm told it's the same drag as the Torque 8 that I own and like very much, but just a little heavier. A little more money for a really quality reel.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like different Beans have different prices. I went to the Center Valley, PA store, and they had about 12 Rhythm spools on the shelf. I
bought a Ross Evolution #3 on sale at one Bean for $219, and then saw the
same model at the Center Valley store for $153. Of course I returned the
first reels and bought a few at $153.