The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 08:01 PM

googoo is on a distinguished road
Default Help rigging for saltwater

Have a fly rod i just bought...its a size 8 Eagle Claw. I know its not an expensive one, but i'm new to the sport and want to mess around before investing in proper gear. I need help with rigging my rod. The reel has nothing on it and i am in the dark as to how to rig it....Need advice quick....
Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help rigging for saltwater

Hey GooGoo
If you give a little more info on the places and species of fish you will be after we can get you set up.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi googoo,

We also need to know what reel you have? Is this a graphite rod or a fiberglass rod?

Frank
Old 04-05-2009, 08:41 AM

googoo is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, Thanks for getting back to me. I have a graphite rod, 7footer, the species out here are: striped bass, bluefish mainly. I'm in Staten ISland, NY...if this helps
Old 04-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

If it's matched to the rod (designed to hold an 8 weight fly line) the reel should hold somewhere around 130-150 yds of 20lb Dacron or Micron backing. A spec sheet should be included in the box it came in, or you can search for the specs online. For backing you could go with Cortland or Scientific Anglers.

For fly line you'd want a 8 weight, weight forward Floating or Intermediate line to start. I'd probably go with a floater if you're fishing from shore, or an Intermediate if you're fishing from a boat. If you plan to do both, I'd go with an Intermediate.

You'll also want a leader, but you can make them easily with regular fishing mono. For a floater, a leader made with 3 sections of mono
4 ' of 30 lb test tied to 3' of 25lb test tied to 2' of 16 or 20lb test.

With an Intermediate, just a straight shot of 4-6' of 16 or 20lb test.

To rig it up go to the fishing knot section of animated knots:
Animated Knots by Grog

Backing to fly reel- Arbor Knot
Backing to Fly Line= Albright Knot
Fly Line to Butt (heavy section of leader) - Albright Knot
Leader sections to each other (for leader with floating fly line) - Blood Knot
Leader to Fly- Improved Clinch

Flies - a few chartreuse size 2 Clousers and some 1/0 Deceivers (all white, blue over white or olive over white) would be a good start

Hope this helps

mark
Old 04-06-2009, 01:36 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by googoo View Post
Hey guys, Thanks for getting back to me. I have a graphite rod, 7footer, the species out here are: striped bass, bluefish mainly. I'm in Staten ISland, NY...if this helps

GooGoo,

I live in Staten Island if you want to test out a few lines before you spend your money let me know. Shortening your learning curve usually saves you alot of money.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Googoo- that's a great offer from SwirlChaser !!!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:00 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Peregrines, anything to spread the "sickness"...
Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Am i reading this right a 7 foot 8 wieght?? i dont think i have ever seen an 8wt that short??