The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 06:46 PM

dickensheets is on a distinguished road
Default Help me select a saltwater line for cool waters.

Hi. I have a 9WT with floating line but want to get deeper in the surf and around rocks and jetties in Northern California for surf perch and rock bass etc.

I don't have any experience with sinkers, so I don't know if I should get a full sinker or sinking tip.

Can Anyone recommend a line for this mission?

Ryan
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help me select a saltwater line for cool waters.

Orvis overs a sinking line they call "depth charge". I would have them put the 350 grain on your 9 wt. You can count it down and strip at the depth you are wnating to work. A little tricky to pick up for a cast but once you master it no worries.
Dave

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree that a 350 is ideal for a 9wt (fish one on mine as well). You might look into a multi-tip line so you've got multiple sink rate options. I think Cortland may even make a 333 version that's pretty affordable.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 AM

dickensheets is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:33 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

The only time I use a sink tip is if I'm the boat fishing more than 30ft of water or more. When I'm wading an intermediate sinks just fine and is far easier to pick up out of the surf than a sinking line. What most saltwater guys don't realize is that even with a floating line if your fishing a 9' leader with a Clouser or other sinking fly your going to drop 9-10' even with a floating line.
When fishing the surf I can put a clouser on the bottom by adjusting my leader length with out having to resort to a sinking line. Sinking lines are difficult to lift and impossible to mend.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM

Houniac is on a distinguished road

I can tell you not what to buy which is the Sci Angler clear Striper Line. I only wish my memory were half that good