The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 12:59 AM

barblessnut is on a distinguished road
Default New to the Surf...

Never have i wet a fly line in the salt. I'm planning to knock the "never been" off of my fishing resume with a trip to Morro Bay very soon. I've spent the majority of my outings bushwacking trails or paddling my pontoon. I am truly looking forward to this new venture. If anyone has any tid-bits of information, i would greatly appreciate it

BBNut
Old 01-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New to the Surf...

Hey Barbless, welcome to the forum --

I haven't fished in the surf out your way very much, but I do fish the surf on the east coast for stripers, so maybe some of this will help a bit.

One thing you'll definitely want is a stripping basket to hold loose coils of your fly line--- you can buy one, or very easily make your own (I made a simple one out of just a rubbermaid dish pan and shock cord, but there are more elaborate homemade ones as well). The stripping basket is essential for managing line in the surf, and eliminates the friction of trying to rip slack line out of the water when you try and shoot on your cast.

It's a big ocean, so one of your biggest challenges will be finding fish-- and recognizing water that's likely to be productive, as well as figuring out patterns --- time of day, tide, and current (note that time of changes in current times can often be a lot different from times of tides). In the case of Morro Bay you'll have lots of rocks that will be obvious structure. In other cases, for instance a sandy beach, structure will probably be a lot less obvious.

I guess you'll be chasing stuff like corbina and surf perch?

If so you might want to check out Glenn Yoshimoto's site Glenn Yoshimoto's Zen Fly Fishing

Although the area he fishes is further north than you, and it looks like Glenn hasn't updated his site in awhile, I think you'll find a ton of useful info there if you poke around about gear, flies, rigging, techniques etc.

Here's a very good link from Glenn's site on reading a beach:
Finding Fish

It looks like you CA guys use somewhat different gear than we use here on the east coast--- with generally lighter outfits and the lines you guys use out there in the surf seem to mostly be fast sink tips (some are store bought, some make their own out of lengths of lead core line) as opposed to the floaters and intermediates most folks use around here in the surf. And for the most part our flies for stripers are baitfish imitations as opposed to the smaller mole crab stuff you'll probably be using.

Hopefully some west coast surf guys will weigh in--- I know we have a few on the forum---

Keep asking questions, I'm sure folks will do their best to help you get going. -- And keep us posted on your adventures!

Last edited by peregrines; 01-09-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM

zenfisher will become famous soon enough

I surf fish in So. Calif. Down here, we target mainly corbina and surf perch. But you will on occasions hook into a leopard or shovel nose shark. I fished a fast action 6 wt 9' rod with a 250 gr. Rio Striper 26' head fast sinking line. You want your line to sink down to the sand where the fish are feeding. Many lines have a 30' sinking head but the shorter Rio head makes it easier to roll cast the line to the surface for the next cast. Short strips and keep in good contact with your fly. A stripping basket helps with line management.

A 5' straight flouro leader is OK. 6# to 10# test unless a lot of leopard sharks are in the area, then I move up. Fish a surf rat or clouser type fly that has lead eye to sink the fly to the sand. A fly with some red or orange with brown works best.

The surf up in Morro Bay may be stronger than here in So. Calif. So you may need to use a heavier rod and line.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:11 PM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I would make sure I knew if there were drop-offs. Also, more surf angler drown at low tide than at high. The reason: when the tide is low anglers wade farther out and therefore might hit a drop off.

I've gone through many stripping baskets. If you have the money, I recommend the Orvis. I drilled some small holes in mine so it drains water.

I also like a slow sinking line. It cuts through the wind better.

Randy
Old 03-18-2011, 01:52 AM

martin trj is on a distinguished road

I'm no expert but I can tell you that the where is not as impotant as the when. I haven't figured out the tides and such so for me it has been a bit frustrating and I kinda hung the fly rod for a few months. Try checking the surf reports to see how the tide is going to be when you fish.
I will be tossing flies soon.
Good luck
Martin

Last edited by martin trj; 03-18-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM

chris alman is on a distinguished road

I think if you really want to be successful, you'll want to at least know a little about how to read the surf. As Martin mentioned, timing is important. You'll want to know when the tides are coming in and going out. I do a lot of surf fishing off the Texas coast and I've caught plenty of fish.

There's a great description on how to read the surf that I ran across a while back. I'd recommend reading it over.

How To Read The Surf - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Hope that helps out some!

-Chris