The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 09:45 PM

uni2uniknot has a spectacular aura aboutuni2uniknot has a spectacular aura about
Default Self Guided Fly Fishing...The Next Destination...HELP!

Hello All,

Just recently returned from the Florida Keys. I am now back to work/life for one week and already I can't wait for the next hook-up!

My passion is fly fishing the salt especially for bonefish, permit and tarpon. The recent trip to the Florida Keys was a blast and I must say, tarpon on a fly is absolutely the ticket.

I have practiced self guided flyfishing for over a decade. Destinations such as Aruba, Belize, Cancun, Turks, Puerto Rico, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and most recently the Keys have produced life time memories. My favorite destination to date is Mayaguana, Bahamas.

Mayaguana for me is the perfect self guided fly fishing destination. Accomodations are great, the fish are thick and unafraid, you never see another flyfisherman, and the price is right!

I seek a similar destination for my next self guided journey. All suggestions and all tips are welcome!

Tight lines...

Uni2uniknot
Old 05-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Self Guided Fly Fishing...The Next Destination...HELP!

Consider Christmas Island!! Hear the wade Bonefishing is awesome. I'm headed to the Keys in June to my Dads place at the Ocean Reef Club for our annual Tarpon excursion.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 AM

uni2uniknot has a spectacular aura aboutuni2uniknot has a spectacular aura about

Recently saw a program featuring fly fishing for red fish in the South (Gulf of Mexico).

Any one have experience with this sort of trip? Locations, places to stay, best times of year to fish, tackle, fly patterns...etc, all suggestions welcome!

Thanks All!

Uni2uniknot
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

Christmas Island is great year round... especially in the smummer.

I'd still go with the fishing package. The local CI guides know where the fish are at any tide or time of day... At the Villages Hotel you go by boat every day to different spots in the lagoon un-reachable any other way.

Most of the time when I travel (other than to a fishing lodge) I only have a day or so to sneak in a little fishing. To take maximum advantage of my time (and since I don't know the local waters or how to catch the fish there) I always hire a guide.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM

yellowhammer is on a distinguished road

Hello, Has anyone ever tried or heard of the mayo river? It runs from nc, to va. the smallmouth fishing is great a very pretty little river close to my home. Enjoyed the laast two days caught a few good size smallies but the action overall was very good. 3 in 3 to 4 lb range. good sunfishing also. regards yellowhammer
Old 06-09-2009, 09:21 PM

mcA896 is on a distinguished road

I hear Seychelles is real hot for big bones. Heh, that sounded dirty. But you know what I mean. Why not head up to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend of Albies, Bonito, Blues, and Stripers. The Northeast version of an inshore grand slam.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:23 PM

hatidua is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcA896 View Post
I hear Seychelles is real hot for big bones. Heh, that sounded dirty. But you know what I mean.
And Seychelles can be done on a do-it-yourself plan as well. I spent five straight weeks there for less than what those operators want for six days. Use frequent flier miles to get there, eat at simple local places, bring wading boots, and a whole bunch of Borski shrimp flies
Old 08-28-2009, 09:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcA896 View Post
I hear Seychelles is real hot for big bones. Heh, that sounded dirty. But you know what I mean. Why not head up to Martha's Vineyard for a weekend of Albies, Bonito, Blues, and Stripers. The Northeast version of an inshore grand slam.
Better watch out if you go to the Seychelles. These pirates have been terrorizing there.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 10-18-2009, 02:59 PM

bandree is on a distinguished road

The Mosquito Lagoon in Central florida is a great destination when fishing the flats for tailing redfish. The Mosquito Lagoon in Titusville is famous for its bull reds. Its about 1 hour east of Orlando. There is even a Renzetti factory in Titusville.