The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default What now

What would be the best inland saltwater species of fish to target along the central Florida coast this time of year?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What now

Your best bet will probably be reds and specs this time of year, and depending on what coast you're on, that would most likely be in Tampa Bay on the west coast and Mosquito Lagoon on the east coast.

But I would also look for local inshore fishing reports (not just fly fishing ones) to get a sense of the general areas that might be producing, and to pop into any local bait and tackle shops in the area (as well as any fly shops). Local shops might also be able to point you in the right direction for shore access or likely areas to prospect by boat if you're new to the area, as well as what stages of tide might be the best bets. Reports might include info on the status of the Shad run in the St Johns for example.

Obviously stuff like cold snaps can have a big effect on the fishing so it helps to have reliable source of up to date and reliable info.

Hopefully some of the local FL folks will chime in with better info.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:40 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Along with the reds go sea trout.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:46 PM

Capt. John Kumiski is on a distinguished road

>What would be the best inland saltwater species of fish to target along the central Florida coast this time of year?

Hi Red-

I haven't posted here before and don't wish to step on toes.

I live in east central Florida. I fish here several times a week, fished today. It was cold and windy and we didn't get a bite. Fished Tuesday and we did real well.

redfish, trout, and black drum are the three species you'll get in the east coast lagoons that surround the kennedy space center.

I write a blog, post 1-3 times weekly. If you check it out you'll have a good idea of what to expect. it's at http:/www.spottedtail.com/blog. quite a few people follow it. i don't think it will be a waste of your time, even though i may be a bit biased!

Feel free to email me with more pointed questions

good luck whatever you decide to do

jk