The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hello ya'll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot Flies View Post
Brown and Root is a great area when the tide is up and the wind isn't blowing. I HIGHLY encourage taking the leap and getting yourself a yak. You can cover so much water and more times than not you can almost get right on top of the reds before they even know you're there. You just have to practice casting from a seated position. If you've used a tube or belly boat it should be much of an adjustment. I love fishing that whole area in Aransas Pass: B&R, Light House Lakes, South Bay, etc. I'm lucky that it's only about a 40 minute drive from my house. I just can't wait for this wind to lay down and the water to clear up a bit. =)

Harris
What 'yak are you using down there? I've got a decent oppt'y pick up a well-maintained Prism that I think might be pretty perfect and quite a deal. Used to sell them and always liked it as a low, lean, fast, and well designed boat.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:13 PM

Windknot Flies is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hello ya'll

QUOTE=BigCliff;58977]What 'yak are you using down there? I've got a decent oppt'y pick up a well-maintained Prism that I think might be pretty perfect and quite a deal. Used to sell them and always liked it as a low, lean, fast, and well designed boat.[/QUOTE]

Hey BC, I'm using a 14 ft Liquid Logic Manta 14. It's still my favorite boat. I does, however, have a few things I don't like. Trust me...it's not a stand up caster. I mean, sure, you can stand up and cast, however, that's going to happen if you DON'T move much and don't look around MUCH. I like getting up so I can scan the water and it's taken me a bit or trial and error.....and wet short to finally get it down. Now, my previous boat was an older Wilderness Ride. That thing was GREAT. I THINK I spent more time standing up and poling in it than paddling. The down side to that particular boat was that it paddled like a tank and didn't take bow waves very well....you sort of just pushed straight through any chop you encountered. A great stable casting platform, but you sacrifice speed a bit.
There are SO many good fishing yaks out there at the moment is hard to nail down just one "great yak". I like to tell people that yaks are a lot like shoes: you go through a few before you find one that fits. If you a serious about getting a great fishing kayak let me know. I used to work at a kayak shop and I'm a certified instructor....more importantly though: I FISH OUTTA LITTLE PLASTIC BOATS!. LOL...let me know if you're going to be headed down to my part of the woods, maybe we can throw some flies at some suicidal reds! Later amigo...

Harris
windknot_flies@att.net