The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Windknot Flies is on a distinguished road
Default Hello ya'll

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say Hi. A little about me: I'm an Army Vet that served during the first Gulf War, Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. After the Army, I started guiding kayak fishing trips here on my home waters of the Middle Laguna Madre (Corpus Christi TX area). I also worked as an Electronics Tech for Baker Hughes for a while. In between those two endeavors I try to find time to just FISH! =) The wind down here has been absolutely horrible over the last month and the long rod has more or less been relegated to staying in it's tube. The only upside to it is that I've had a lot more time to tie and refill all my fly boxes. Hopefully this weather will break soon and I'll be back out on those flats slinging flies at hungry tailing reds. I look forward to chatting with members of the board and hearing about whats going on in your neck of the woods (or waters in this case). Tight Lines ya'll....

Harris

Capt H.P. Ashley
USCG OUPV Certified/Texas Parks & Wildlife Licensed Guide
American Canoe Association Certified Instructor
FFF Guide Association Member
Director of Education Laguna Madre Fly Fishers FFF Club

Corpus Christi, Texas
Email: windknot_flies@att.net
Desert Storm/Iraqi Freedom Vet
United States Army Airborne
"Take a Vet Fishing"
Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello ya'll

Harris: Welcome to the forum, we look forward to hearing about your fishing and a big thanks for the time you spent in the military protecting our way of life! It's been pretty windy up here in Wyoming but that is normal for spring.

Larry
Old 05-06-2009, 02:14 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Welcome aboard, I belive you'll enjoy it here.
Bear
Old 05-06-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Harris: Welcome to the forum, we look forward to hearing about your fishing and a big thanks for the time you spent in the military protecting our way of life! It's been pretty windy up here in Wyoming but that is normal for spring.

Larry
Same thing with the wind down here, but I havent' seen it blow this hard for this long in a while. I'm getting a serious case of cabin fever. At least I'm spending a little more time at the tying bench lately. When I used to live up north (upstate NY) I got used to the snow and ice keeping me in. After moving back down to Texas it's hard not to be out on the water. We can more or less fish year 'round. I can put up with snow, but wind.....it's a different story. =)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey windknot welcome to the forum. Sounds like your fishing is a blast- cruising around in yak and sight casting to fish on the flats has got to be great.

Good luck with your guiding business and i hope the wind lays down soon so you can get out there.

mark
Old 05-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Windknot Flies,

I seem to have missed your first post. I would like to welcome you to the forum and thanks for your service to our country.

We have had a very windy Spring here in Florida. Much more than I recall in other years. Not quite sure what is going on. How are the saltwater marshes doing in your area? I see in Fly Fisherman Magazine that the saltwater marshes around Louisiana have drastically reduced from 1970 to 2001.

Frank
Old 05-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome!

I was fishing B&R on 4/26 and fighting that wind you're talking about- knee-deep whitecaps. I try to get down there monthly but that doesn't always work out. I'll likely acquire a kayak soon and be fishing mostly the same way you do. You fish South Bay and the Lighthouse Lakes much?

I've posted a couple reports, I think both had Aransas in the title.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Windknot Flies,

I seem to have missed your first post. I would like to welcome you to the forum and thanks for your service to our country.

We have had a very windy Spring here in Florida. Much more than I recall in other years. Not quite sure what is going on. How are the saltwater marshes doing in your area? I see in Fly Fisherman Magazine that the saltwater marshes around Louisiana have drastically reduced from 1970 to 2001.

Frank
The marshes seem to be in good shape. I've seen a lot of new 'seedlings' taking root here and there. I agree about the wind. It's been more blustery than usual. I'm starting to get tired of 'Youtube' fishing. All it does is make me stir crazy. =)
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Welcome!

I was fishing B&R on 4/26 and fighting that wind you're talking about- knee-deep whitecaps. I try to get down there monthly but that doesn't always work out. I'll likely acquire a kayak soon and be fishing mostly the same way you do. You fish South Bay and the Lighthouse Lakes much?

I've posted a couple reports, I think both had Aransas in the title.
Brown and Root is a great area when the tide is up and the wind isn't blowing. I HIGHLY encourage taking the leap and getting yourself a yak. You can cover so much water and more times than not you can almost get right on top of the reds before they even know you're there. You just have to practice casting from a seated position. If you've used a tube or belly boat it should be much of an adjustment. I love fishing that whole area in Aransas Pass: B&R, Light House Lakes, South Bay, etc. I'm lucky that it's only about a 40 minute drive from my house. I just can't wait for this wind to lay down and the water to clear up a bit. =)

Harris
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windknot Flies View Post
Same thing with the wind down here, but I havent' seen it blow this hard for this long in a while. I'm getting a serious case of cabin fever. At least I'm spending a little more time at the tying bench lately. When I used to live up north (upstate NY) I got used to the snow and ice keeping me in. After moving back down to Texas it's hard not to be out on the water. We can more or less fish year 'round. I can put up with snow, but wind.....it's a different story. =)
Harris: Same thing here in Wyoming during the springtime, we get heavy winds coming through ahead of every cold front so it makes for some frustrating times coming out of winter and now the temperature is coming back up and I'm itch'n to go fishing. Last spring I went up to the Grey Reef, the forecast called for 15-25 mph winds, but after I got there I found that the wind was doing 50 mph in the gusts. I tried fishing but only lasted about 20 minutes before I got totally frustrated and gave up. That section of the North Platte has very few trees or other obstructions to break up the wind so you have a tough time finding a spot where you can get out of it.

Larry