The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2009, 01:32 AM

JAlbeck is on a distinguished road
Question First rod + reel advise?

Hello, I'm hoping for some advise on a rod and reel to get me started in saltwater fly fishing. I learned how to fly fish when I was very young in Colorado, and fish extensively where I live in South Florida (Boca Raton area, 40 miles North of Miami) both for LMB (plus a bi-catch of bluegill) and salt water species both in and off shore. However, I haven't the slightest idea which fly rods and reels are good, cheaply made, ect.

I was told an 8 weight would be appropriate for salt water fishing for moderate sized snook, tarpon, jack, barracuda (can't be avoided) and occasionally large mouth.

Anyways, I would truly, truly appreciate some advise on which salt water rods and reels are good quality, but not excessively expensive (I really can't afford a 700 dollar setup).

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:05 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First rod + reel advise?

JA:

The saltwater Trio...8,10,12...start with 8 or 10 wt look used Sage Xi2, Loomis CC GLX...my best bargain pick would be a 2 piece Sage RPLX factory rod in 8 or 10 because it's two piece it will be about 30-40 % less than a used RPLX 3 piece in comparable condition...you are in paradise for used salt fly rods/reels. Also one of the better shops, Old Florida, is in Boca see if there are any blemished Tibors or used Tibors...also check out Madison River's Clearances for Ross Momentum Big Game reels at 50% off
Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Exclamation Re: First rod + reel advise?

I appreciate the advise, however, the only dilemma is that my girlfriend just gave me $300 in bass pro shop gift cards, so I was hoping to use those as part of my funding for the fly rod... should I be looking for the same brands and weights there? Or am i pretty much SOL?
Old 05-22-2009, 12:19 AM

OK, I've done some additional browsing and it appears that I could buy a new Sage "Flight" set up or "Launch" set up for a reasonable price (in between $300 and $400). I see the Xi2 listed, but I plain just can't afford it new (they start at $700 new).

Fly fishing Rods & Reels - High Quality Bamboo Fly Fishing Rods & More - Bass Pro Shops

that's the link to the Bass pro fly rod and reel inventory if you'd be kind enough to browse around and see if anything in there is worth buying/ reasonably priced.

I suppose if nothing is reasonably priced and quality I can always just hold on to the gift cards for other fishing/ boating expenses and go to the stores you recommended.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Your in Boca...first drive south to Dania then Islamorada check out the sales and inventory of Worldwide Sportsman stores(BassProSalt)...you might find some demos or sales specific to those stores ...or use the 300 gift card for the other necessaries eg line, leader materials, wadding shoes, startup flies, etc
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 PM

Haha, I know where the Bass pro shops are, thanks though! Seriously, you've been very helpful and I appreciate it. =)
Old 05-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

JAlbeck-

Bonefish gave you great advice. If you were anywhere else, and going to do occasional SW fishing, something like a new Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) Pro series rod in 8 (FW bass AND SW) or 9 weight (mostly SW, occasional bass) for about 150 might be a good choice------- BUT, since you live in Florida with access to exceptional opportunities for year round SW fishing, and for a variety of species, I'd strongly recommend looking for high quality used gear as Bonefish recommended. Because of the lousy economy, you can find exceptional bargains on used Sage RPLX, or RPLXi, and the Loomis CC GLX especially in 2 piece if air travel isn't an issue. These rods are GREAT choices, and easy enough to learn on, but will grow with you as your casting improves with lots of reserve power and guts to handle wind, wind resistant flies and plenty of power for fighting everything you want to chase. Some of the entry level rods might be fine to start out with but will soon feel wimpy in your hands as your casting improves and you're carrying more line in the air.

You'd want a SW reel with a smooth disc drag, 150-200 yds of 20lb backing capacity with fly line, anodized wand preferably CNC machined as opposed to cast. I would look at reels from reel manufacturers (as opposed to manufacturers known for their rods). Lamson, Nautilus, Bauer might be good brands to look at, but also keep your eyes out for used high end reels used like Tibors and Abels (650-750 bucks new) are likely to still be very expensive, but you might find a used Pate Bonefish (built like a tank, around 500 new) pop up on boards from time to time. These reels are bulletproof, and you'll be able to pass them on to your grandkids one day.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but I would look at used high quality gear --there are tons of bargains out there--- for about the same price as a medium priced new stuff --ask here on the forum if you see stuff that you aren't sure about. The fishing you have down there in SW, especially if you plan to chase flats fish (bones, permit, jacks, small to medium tarpon, 60-100lb sharks) regularly smokes bargain priced reels, including many reels completely adequate for fishing SW stuff like striped bass and other SW fish elsewhere. If you were buying stuff for an occasional 3-5 day trip down there, or primarily chasing reds and specs, that would be one thing, but if you are going to be living down there and out there a lot chasing all kinds of stuff year round buying great used stuff once is the way to go IMHO.

mark
Old 05-24-2009, 05:50 AM

saltflytyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAlbeck View Post
Anyways, I would truly, truly appreciate some advise on which salt water rods and reels are good quality, but not excessively expensive (I really can't afford a 700 dollar setup).

Thanks in advance!
Hi, It is hands down no contest if you act quick. Colton Fly company does not sell to fly shops so the price is already half less. Also they dont spend millions in advertising of a red haired woman so you can buy there $700 rods that are made made the third world!

The people that use the rods, are the captains and guides on the east coast who catch the 700 pound saltwater fish. Look at stripersonline for the experts testionial about how good these rods and reels are, then jump on ebay because the crg1 (made in German) is being sold for about $80. This is a barstock highest quality drag. There are also the new generation crg's (crg2) for about $120. These are going fast!! And last I checked they has trade winds for about $120.

"Any angler who has had the pleasure of tangling with hard tail species like False Albacore can understand the challenges in designing a saltwater fly rod. The must have requirements for a good saltwater rod are tough design, fast action and enough power in the butt section to control the fish. The real challenge is creating a blank that has the power to control the blistering run of an Albie, or the stubborn bulldogging of a striped bass without losing the cast ability of the rod. To overcome this problem, our saltwater rods are constructed of three different strains of graphite producing a blank that is capable of long, effortless casts, the punching power to turn over even the largest of flies in windy conditions, and a stiff butt section for controlling and lifting the fish during the fight!

Each rod in the Tradewinds series is fitted with oversized snake guides to allow for better line control and less friction, the new Channel Lock reel seat from Pacific Bay to ensure a tight fit, (TiCh) Titanium hard coated stripping guides, Flor grade cork full wells grips, and a fighting butt.

All Tradewinds Fly Rods come with an extra tip section, fighting butt, five-section cloth bag, and a travel tube! These rods will fish like a $600 tlx but if you act fast you can get them on clearance for ~100. Ebay also had some crg2's for about $40 more that are made in the USA instead of Gerany. These reels will compare to $400 -$600 reels!