The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 07:17 AM

r00tuuu is on a distinguished road
Default Jumpin Mullet

Anybody here ever try to catch mullet on a fly? I plan on heading to the shore in the fall,OBX and was wondering if this can be done,I know they feed on plankton etc but have heard of guys catching em on dough ball. A good 1 or2# mullet would be a blast on a light fly rod. I was thinking maybe a #20-24 hook dubbed in some kind of green or red. Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Jumpin Mullet

i saw some guys doing it on a florida sportsman segment not long ago. and i talked to some guys in florida who have done it. i don't think you need to go that small. i'd try nothing smaller than a size 16 hvy wire hooks and tie them sparse. mullet can get pretty big, and i think they'd straighten hooks on you if you go too small. do some research on what they eat, look at some pics, and tie up something that with roughly imitate it. i had several trail flies while i was in florida recently, but none took. i think if you used a small piece of charteuse or light olive marabou or rabbit strip and just twitch it some would take it.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 05-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks Ken. I had this idea when Iwas down there last about 10 years ago, Ihappened to have one of my trout boxes w/me and tried some hares ears and green weenies but no takers.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've never fished for mullets but I'd like to for there are lots in my region and everybody says it's a great fighter.I've found a few infos for you.Flyfishermen use white dry flies(s 14/14)
orange nymphs
sparling streamers
nymphs which look like filamentary seeweeds
some throw pieces of bread to attrack fish and then use a flie made with sponge which looks like bread....strange but very efficient according to them
10ft rod#7/8...hope it can help
Old 05-24-2009, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

http://becmm.e-monsite.com/accueil.html
have a look here,it's in french but there are photos.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:58 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

tie a bread fly, just some white deer hair on a size 10 wet fly hook. then clip top and bottom leave the sides rough..works great around the docks in florida..in the OBX i would tie a worm fly of some sorts, thats what we used in the back bays of delaware..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-24-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks all did a little more research and found the consensus to be white flies. hopefully I will get a chance to try this out. also found out they feed on algae and detritus so I might throw together some compost flies. Might be pretty interesting on a 2 or3 wt for when other fish get scarce.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

dude, i'm telling u...down there in florida i've seen mullet as big as redfish. and i've seen the smaller ones take off when a shark came by, and they r rockets! and now that i've had time to id these 2 12" fish i caught in the surf, they were a type of mullet. i had them on an 8wt. and i'm going to tell u: if u hook them on a 3wt u're the 1 who is hooked, not them. the 12" guys i could have handled on a 5wt and it would hav been fun. but if u hook 1 of those 20"+ bruisers and he takes off running, u'll just b along for the ride. also, mullet r BAIT to a lot of big predators n the ocean. so u've got to consider getting hit by shark, cobia, ray, etc. that gets fouled.

just sayin...stuff to consider.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist