The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 09:53 PM

gbfowler will become famous soon enough
Default Favorite Baby Tarpon flies?

Just wondering what are your guys favorite baby/small tarpon flies and color's!!! It's getting to be a long winter in Wisconsin and I need something to keep me going untill march!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: Favorite Baby Tarpon flies?

gb

The end of November down in Key Largo we did well with the EP Blacktail Mullet pattern in the 3 1/2" size. They were all over it as were the Cuda.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 01-28-2011, 11:10 PM

I will actually be spending 3 days in key largo!! I was looking to rent a kayak and do some diy for either some small poons or bones if I can find them. Do you mind if I send you a pm or two?? Ive never fished the keys before so Im curious as to what to expect for variety of fish and size. Not new to saltwater fishing but rather to the keys. Thanks and lets see some flies guys!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am drawn to splayed feather tarpon flies even though there are modern patterns using synthetic material that are very effective. This page shows a bunch of fly pictures. Fly size is best kept around 1/0 to 2/0.

My favorite Yucatan tarpon fly is the Campeche Special. You can see a recipe of it here.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbfowler View Post
I will actually be spending 3 days in key largo!! I was looking to rent a kayak and do some diy for either some small poons or bones if I can find them. Do you mind if I send you a pm or two?? Ive never fished the keys before so Im curious as to what to expect for variety of fish and size. Not new to saltwater fishing but rather to the keys. Thanks and lets see some flies guys!!!
gb

No problem on the PM's. I go to the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo twice a year. At Thanksgiving and then again in June for the full grown Tarpon. My parents live there so I get to visit family and fish!! Last report I had from my Dad was that they were starting to see a few bones back on the flats.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:42 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Quote:
I am drawn to splayed feather tarpon flies
I still use them a lot too as well as big soft hackle streamers. Sparcely tied ones with tan saddle hackle often are dynomite just before dark when the shrimp are running. Pink would probably be just as good swung in the current on the outgoing.

Cheers,
Jim

---------- Post added at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

Here's on of my favorites for early in the season. The hackle is not splayed but tied streamer style. Just a few strands of pearl. A little marabout and a soft neck.

Click the image to open in full size.

Find a channel, or better yet, a confluence of several channels draining the bayside flats and going under the bridges to oceanside. Swing the fly off the edges into the channels. Be there at high tide so you are ready at the current change. The current change varies, but just figure on 45 minutes after high tide for that spot bayside and you should be safe. If that current change happens just before dawn or sunset - .

PM me if you'd like more info.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Pm sent, I appreciate all the ideas guys! I tied up some tarpon gurglers in shrimp colors along with some small toads, any one fish these?
Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Toads have become a kind of "go to" fly in the keys for tarpon. Gurglers, not so much here as in the quiet waters of the Glades in Florida bay.
Old 01-29-2011, 02:01 PM

gb

Last June the only fly that we got any looks at from the big tarpon was an old pattern called a cockroach. Our guide went home after a couple days of refusals and tied a bunch up and our luck changed over knight.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:03 PM

got the cockroach covered! Theres not many patterns out there I cant tie or don't have the materials for. The Ep mullets you were fishing, where they grey backs with white bellies? black tails? I have a stock pile of EP hair, its become one of my favorite materials to tie with!