The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 08:49 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about
Default What's in your fly box?

Just wondering what flies are in your saltwater fly boxes?
I have clousers, decievers, a number of shrimp patterns, crazy charlies two simple crab patterns, and a few seaducers...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's in your fly box?

I throw alot of flies at redfish that are like oversized carp flies- heavy eyes, buggy body, and rubber legs sticking out at the tail and near the eyes. Dorsey's Kwan is another winner, both in chartreuse and tan.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 AM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I throw Clousers and decievers almost all the time.Occasionally I will use blondes,surf candies, gurglers and poppers.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Twospots-

Sounds like you have a great assortment of SW flies and have 90% of the bases covered if you were to be airdropped into a place anywhere near SW.

I’m sure there are some local favorites, or species specific patterns you could add depending on what you chase and where you plan to do most of your fishing. But between the clouser and deceiver you’ve covered your self for most baitfish profiles and different layers of the water column, The seaducer is a great suspended slow twitching pattern (and great shark fly) with a lot of action. And the crabs and shrimpy stuff is great for anything that roots around on the bottom.

For a general anywhere anytime SW box, I carry

Deceivers- this is my go to fly for most SW fishing. I carry them in all white (or blue over white, olive over white, doesn’t make much difference) size 2/0 and all chartreuse 3/0 (for stained water) . I carry them in both regular versions and all bucktail (easy to tie, just using bucktail for the tail instead of saddle hackle). And haven’t noticed any difference in hook ups.

Clousers size 1 in chartreuse, tan and all white

Heavily weighted Half and Halfs or Rabbit Strip flies that ride hook point up in black and chartreuse size 3/0 for fishing deep holes. Black and chartreuse are the most visible colors in deep or stained water.

Merkin (also called Del Brown’s Permit Fly) tan/brown mixed size 2 and 1/0

No name shrimpy, crabby looking things with chenille body and marabou and rubber legs in Root Beer, Tans and Olives size 2 (Anything by Borski or Kwan type flies would do the trick.) Basically I’ll start with one that matches the color of the bottom.

Poppers or crease flies size 2/0 in white or yellow. Just for kicks. Watching something blow up on them is a blast.

Another fly that I like to carry is a Tabory Snake Fly. Basically the back half is a deceiver and the front half is a muddler minnow with a spun deer hair head. I carry them in size 2/0 in black and white. This is a great fly to V wake across the surface or plop along in the mangroves, and it pushes a lot of water. The round profile and the way it swims also makes it a great mullet imitation.

I don’t fish them much, but adding your Crazy Charlies, Gotcha’s and Puff type flies in a range of sizes, weights and colors in pinks, whites, tans and browns and olives size 6-2 would be great particularly if you fished a lot of flats and/or chased bones outside the Keys (the Keys tend to use larger, meatier flies for bones like crab flies and Borski type stuff in size 2).

I add other stuff for specific situations, but the basics probably cover 90% of the time--- once you actually find fish. As an example we get mating swarms of small marine worms on the full and new moon and I carry patterns similar to the Paolo Worm stuff for tarpon, We also get small bay anchovies and false albacore feed on them so I carry small size 2- 4 bunny or marabou flies for them and large flatwings up to size 5/0 and 18” long to imitate herring in the fall and menhaden in the summer. When this stuff is around imitating the size and general profile of these baits becomes more important than specific pattern, but these are the few times where going to something other than basics seems to matter.

I'm sure there are similar situations everywhere, so getting a sense of what those are might lead to a couple of additions to your basic box that can help you target specific conditions.

mark
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about

Oh, I forgot theres some poppers too.

Peregrines, I also make my deceivers mostly all bucktail. A few have feathers but usually only when I want a barred look.
It is more of a hope chest than a fly box cause I get to the ocean once every 2 years or so.
last year my friend and I spent a little time in Pamlico sound. In the evening we were not catching anything so I tied on a san juan worm and caught a slew of pinfish. Just like catching bluegill! That was fun.
I'll have to get some pics of the shrimp pattern and deceivers.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:49 PM

spanky is on a distinguished road

Clousers, Decievers, EP Minnows, for me.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My go-to fly is a flat-wing deceiver
Other flies in my "A" box are foam poppers, craft fur high-ties, Tabory snakeflies, Brooks blondes, and gurglers.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM

mcA896 is on a distinguished road

Clousers, deceivers, a few black eel imitations, a black flatwing deceiver, sili-eels, a few poppers, small shrimp patterns, a small Menhaden imitation, and a crab pattern. Basically covers all the baitfish here on Cape Cod.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Baja Box - ALF Stir Fries, ALF Cut Bait, Abel Anchovies, a bunch of no name anchovie patterns, Sea Habits, Clouser Minnows, Deceivers, Blados' Crease Flies, Bluewater Costa Rican Hookers, Bluewater Bleeding Flamingos, Bluewater Mullets.

Tarpon Box - A bunch of splayed feather Tarpon flies (Black Death, Marquesa Sunrise, and a bunch of different color concoctions), Tarpon Toads, Pololo Worms, Tarpon Bunnies, Green Zimas, Woolly Buggers (tied on 1/0 hooks).

Flats Box - Crazy Charlies and a bunch of variations, Del's Merkins, and a bunch of crab imitations that I picked up along the way.

MP
Old 06-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Waterboy is on a distinguished road

A ton of clousers. I also use some crab patterns and deer hair poppers