The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Saltwater Fly Fishing Bonefish, Tarpon, Redfish, Permit, False Albacore, Striped Bass, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default White River Fly Shop™ Hobbs Creek™ Combo?

How well do yall think the 8wt combo would hold up in the bay against some reds and trout?

the guy at our bass pro told me, if i wanted to spend this little it should hold up decently as long as i stayed in the bay...

i also talked to the guy at our bass pro about the reel, he told me if i were to use it for saltwater i'd really need to clean it well which is obvious. i think he also said it holds a 150 yards of backing... is that alright for the coast? eventually i would plan to upgrade!

also right above the cork it didn't seem to thick, but it felt really sturdy when i practiced with it... i don't know if that would concern yall at all about it?

if you own this combo please let me know what you think of it!

edit: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...-1_10001_98581
sorry i didn't have the link the first time!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:33 PM

twospots has a spectacular aura abouttwospots has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: White River Fly Shop™ Hobbs Creek™ Combo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
How well do yall think the 8wt combo would hold up in the bay against some reds and trout?

the guy at our bass pro told me, if i wanted to spend this little it should hold up decently as long as i stayed in the bay...

i also talked to the guy at our bass pro about the reel, he told me if i were to use it for saltwater i'd really need to clean it well which is obvious. i think he also said it holds a 150 yards of backing... is that alright for the coast? eventually i would plan to upgrade!

also right above the cork it didn't seem to thick, but it felt really sturdy when i practiced with it... i don't know if that would concern yall at all about it?

if you own this combo please let me know what you think of it!

edit: White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek Fly Outfits
sorry i didn't have the link the first time!
I have the reel on a CV2 8 wt and have used it in salt. Never had any fish big enough to test the reel well, but it held up nicely for what I caught. Cleaned it well when I got back home and all is well.
I had a dogwood cannyon 4 wt and it was a heck of a rod for the price. I don't think you will be upset with that combo. I believe it will hold up to any fish you would want on an 8 wt. If you get into a tarpon or shark, say goodby to your line, but that's with most any 8 wt...
Old 06-11-2009, 05:07 PM

thanks a lot twospots! thats enough to influence me to get it!

before i re-enter the realm of freshwater... yall got any specific pointers or flies to share with me for reds/trout?

also i looked online, is it mostly just sight fishing for these two?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Mike, sounds like a great outfit for you. Just give the rod (guides and reel seat), and the reel a good spritz with a hose after using it in SW to prevent corrosion. It’s a good habit to get into with any gear used in salt.
The reel capacity, 150 yds should be plenty, and the 8 weight sounds perfect for the bays.

As far as the thickness of the blank, it should be fine. If you get a good fish on, and need two hands to hold the rod to turn a fish, keep both hands on the cork or one hand on the cork and the other right where the cork meets the blank--- most rods that are broken on fish (as opposed to car doors and ceiling fans) are broken because they were gripped too high up on the blank- ½ way between the first guide and the cork. with the 2nd hand.

Some good patterns -
For reds, clousers size 1 with lead eyes and some smaller lighter ones size 4 with bead chain eyes for fishing shallow water. Mix it up with some white, some “root beer“ some chartreuse. You can get creative and use the clouser style to tie shrimpy/crabby looking stuff with tails of marabou and rubber legs and a thick chenille (or crystal chenille) body and a wing of bucktail and a bit of flash.

For specs, tie some white deceivers and some glass minnows on size 1 hooks. You can tie the deceivers with hackle tails like the original, or just use bucktail for the tail.

For the glass minnow, it’s just a body of pearl, silver, or gold body braid with a wing (about 1 ½ times the length of the shank) of bucktail tied on top of the shank, and for a little flash, a strip of silver flashabou on each side of the wing. Popular colors are white wing with a topping of peacock herl, white with topping of olive or brown bucktail, and yellow bucktail with a topping of red bucktail.

This way you can use the same size 1 hooks to imitate different size baitfish (since the glass minnow doesn’t have a tail it’ll end up being shorter than the deceiver, but you’ll still have the hook holding power of a 1 hook).

Some small poppers size 2 or 1 might be fun to throw too and are a lot of fun to fish.

If you’re going to be wading, a good thing to have is a stripping basket. You can make your own out of a Rubbermaid dishpan and a shock cord with hooks on the end. Just drill or burn a hole through the top of the rim on the two short sides and put the hooks through the holes. The basket will help you get more distance on your casts instead of trying to lift slack line off the water.

As far as fishing for them it depends on depth. The most productive (and fun) is to sight cast to tailing reds if you can find them in shallow enough water, or to cast to "muds" if the water is a bit deeper. Sometimes you'll see a "Compression wave" or nervous water in deeper water made by a single red or school swimming or feeding. And sometimes you'll see specs crashing bait on the surface, often with birds diving above them. But blind casting works too, especially if you're casting along edges like drop offs, channels, holes or around structure like docks and jetties. In SW, no telling what might grab it- could be specs, spanish macks, jacks or whatever else you have down there. If you are blind casting, one way to do it is to cast a couple times, move down the beach 20 feet cast again etc to cover a whole stretch of beach.

Good luck!!!!!!

mark
Old 06-11-2009, 09:46 PM

mcA896 is on a distinguished road

My first setup was a Dogwood Canyon 8 wt. outfit from BPS, it held up wonderfully to keeper sized Stripers in the salt. Like someone said, make sure to clean the reel after getting it salty, and if you're worried when playing a fish, finesse the fight!
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM

I've never really had a big fish before so I really am worried about that! So thanks for the tips guys! And peregrines if you ever come down to texas make sure i'm the first to know, I wanna take ya fishin! I owe ya so much!!!! You are the man!
Old 06-14-2009, 05:12 AM

spanky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Hey Mike, sounds like a great outfit for you. Just give the rod (guides and reel seat), and the reel a good spritz with a hose after using it in SW to prevent corrosion. It’s a good habit to get into with any gear used in salt.
Good advice right there.