The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 10:25 PM

The Tyer is on a distinguished road
Default How to tie a good panfish fly

please post a good panfish fly
Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: How to tie a good panfish fly

foam spiders,beetles and ants work. also try grasshopper or cricket patterns. also some dry flies like a adams or griffins gnat works for nymphs some gold ribbed hares ears or pheasent tail nymphs are great. panfish aren't to picky in my experiences with them.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

For the surface try a simple foam spider. Hook: 8 or 10 carlisle, foam strip color of your choice, I tye black, yellow, white and green; cut the strip about 1/4" wide. Centipede legs, I like the green/black. If you want to get fancy, use Ice Dub for an underbody. Tye the strip to the rear of the hook. Wrap your underbody. Pull the foam strip forward and tie it off. Add a centipede leg to each side of the fly and whip finish.

For a quick "nymph", try this simple bug. Hook: Mustad 3906B size 8 or 10, body Ultra Chenille, tail and back marabou; add centipede legs if you want to get fancy. Start thread and wind back to bend of hook, tye in your marabou along the length of the hook. Tye in your chenille and wrap forward to one hook eye back from the front. Take your bodkin and divide the marabou tail in half; pull the top half forward and tye off and make a nice head. This is a slow sinking fly and I usually do well on gills with it. If you want you can wrap lead free wire or put a bead head on it, I guess you could put centipede legs on to...It's an easy tye if you are just getting started.

Dan
Old 06-25-2009, 10:37 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

fly for a panfish...just about anything you can think of. Ive taken them on anything form a nymph to popper to a small minnow streamer.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 PM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

Try a Rainy Day Wonder:

Thread: 8/0, Brown, Black, Olive
Hook: Any drie or nymph that you would tie a adams or ptn.
Tail: black, brown or olive marabou, SHORT.
Body: black, brown or olive marabou Wrapped.
Ribbing: Silver or Gold Wire
Eyes: Beadchain, Gold or silver, tied on the TOP of the hook shank to flip the hook point up while in the wire.

1. Tie the eyes on top of the hook shank leaving just enough of the hook to tie off the head. You will only be tieing down the ribbing and marabou there so you can make it short.
2. Wrap the thread to the hook bend after inverting the hook in the vise.
3. Tie in the tail, making it SHORT. I can't stress this enough. Then tie in the ribbing and then 5-10, maybe 12 strands of marabou, depending on the size of the hook. Wrap the thread to the eyes, folloeing with the marabou then the ribbing. Tie it all off in front of the eyes and whip finish.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road

I've been having good luck with a fly called the McGinty. It's pretty easy to tie and the gills seem to like it. I use a sz 12 hook to tie mine on.
There's a picture in this thread of a McGinty. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ies-11744.html ) I use a black hackle on mine but you can use what ever you want.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:07 PM

jackh is on a distinguished road

http://freestateflyfishers.org/?page_id=286

look elsewhere on that site also, i just really like the looks of that one
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default to be honest

i dont know if it is like this everywhere but near a buddy of mine you can catch gills and sunfish with a barehook...
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 PM

quackhead35 is on a distinguished road

The first fly i actually learned to tie has been a very big producer for bluegills, crappie and bass. I fished a ton over summer and still go about 2-4 days a week now and still catching them on it. At one point I had 200+ of them in my boxes in an ungodly amount of colors and sizes from 8-12. its pretty simple to tie too. I have modified them by learning from how fish liked them and don't have any new pictures of how i have modified them but its not a huge change since these pics that were taking in early feb.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quackhead35-

Great looking fly---- and welcome to the site. Looking forward to more of your posts.

Mark