The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how am I doing?

Nice job spec5 and you've gotten great advice from folks here.

Pay attention to proportions and use a well tied fly or a pic of one as a model to help guide you. The proportions for different types of flies reference the dimensions of the hook both in terms of the tie in point for the material and their length. Although there might be some variation for different styles of nymphs dries etc, here's a pretty good general description that might help:
Proportion in Flies

Dubbing-- It doesn't take much-- just try to color the thread as opposed to using a noodle-- for now just use the single strand of your tying thread and twist in on counter clockwise between your thumb and index finger.

Hackle-- the Adams does have two feathers, the mix of brown and grizzly is a key ingredient of the fly. To measure the size of the hackle, without a hackle gauge, bend the stem of the feather around the shank. If the barbs are roughly 1 1/2 - 2x the hook gap, it is sized correctly. In most cases, you should be able to do this without plucking the feather from the skin until you find the right size.

The density of the hackle collar depends on how many wraps you take. In a Catskill style fly with one feather it's typically just 5 or 6 wraps-- 3 in back of the wing and 2 or 3 in front of the wing. More heavily hackled flies designed to float in fast water like Wulff patterns will have many more turns of hackle to form a dense bushy collar.

Good luck and keep at it!

mark
Old 02-10-2011, 11:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec5 View Post
Thanks guys! I don't have a dubbing tool so I haven't mastered that yet, I have to spin it on with my fingers...I'm using some bottom line tools for the time being...once I get some good experience under my belt I'll upgrade everything.

I've already got the "bug" so to speak...spent another chunk of change on tying materials and hooks tonight!!!
Spec, When it comes to dubbing you don't need special tools for every day dubbing. When you are dubbing a body, remember you can always add more dubbing if the body doesn't look right to you. Spin a thin pinch of dubbing on to your thread, and remember to always spin the thread the same way. You are doing well for a beginning tyer, keep up the good work...

Dan
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM

spec5 is on a distinguished road

Sweet, I love all the advice guys keep it coming! I also like hearing all the little tricks some of you guys have that I never would have thought of.

There is a tying class coming up at my local cabelas I'm gonna try to get to!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec5 View Post
Sweet, I love all the advice guys keep it coming! I also like hearing all the little tricks some of you guys have that I never would have thought of.

There is a tying class coming up at my local cabelas I'm gonna try to get to!
Tying class would be great; all of mine is self-taught from books and youtube. I'm sure I'm missing some important basics here and there.

You will get advice fast on this site, that's what's sooooo great about it. And most of these guys know what they are talking about and have lived fly-fishing for years! This site is like "fly-fishing Google"! In fact, usually when I Google something trying to find an answer, it pulls up this site's forums anyways, so I just come here first.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi spec5,

You are doing good and you have received a lot of great advise.

New tiers always seem to have a problem with proportions. You need to work on that with your dry flies. The first fly hackle is way too long and maybe too soft. You need good stiff hackle for dry flies. You are using too much material thorough out your dry flies. Take a look at the following picture. Note the compact tail and there is a distinct tapered body. The body should not get lost or be overwhelmed by other parts of the fly. The Hackle is short, stiff and proper proportions for the fly. Also note on the parachute that the hackle around the post is very sparse and again all parts of the fly is separate and distinct.

Frank

Feather-Craft Adams
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:42 PM
EXPATRIATE will become famous soon enoughEXPATRIATE will become famous soon enough

I think your first efforts are downright amazing when I recall my first creations. Age fourteen using bait hooks and various cock pheasant feathers to tie what I hoped the fish would think was a moth of some sort. It didn't look like a moth to me, but the fish didn't care tried to destroy them as fast as I could tie them-which just goes to show what the h--- do we know! Only one big word of advice-keep the bodies SPARSE-the thinner more anorexic it looks the better-unless you deliberatley want a bushy fly and then you can tie the Wulff series of flies in that case. The most effective wet fly is the hare's ear nymph-the worse it looks to us the better the fish like it because it Looks good enough to eat to a fish!
Old 03-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Location: toledo ohio but have a place in michigan by the maple river
24links24 is on a distinguished road

your doing great thats better than some of the stuff i can do i found that doing bigger stuff is allot easier at first.