The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 01:48 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Green Beauty - casting size

SOME DAY its going to be spring again, and I'll be up in western Maine flinging my favorite landlocked salmon fly, the Green Beauty, designed by Carrie Stevens. This is a casting size fly, versus the much longer shanked trolling version:
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Recipe (as listed in Stewart & Leeman's "Trolling Flies for Trout and Salmon):
Body: Golden orange floss (I use Pumpkin UNI-Stretch usually, and on a bobbin)

Rib: Flat silver tinsel, sized to compliment hook size

Throat: white bucktail length of body, then 2 or 3 golden pheasant crest feathers curving upward, half body length.

Wing: 4 to 5 strands peacock herl over which are 4 dark green saddle hackles

Shoulders: Lemon wood duck feathers, approx. one third length of body

Cheeks: Jungle cock

I make wing assemblies as Carrie Stevens did, i.e., gluing up matched wings, shoulders and cheeks for each side of the fly. And they are tied in on the upper side of the head, not on top of the head.

Heretic that I often can be, these days I'm substituting whatever the flash du jour is for me at the time (I mean, there is a LOT of flash out there!) for the peacock herl in the wing, and UV Minnow Belly for the bucktail belly. If I'm doing all that on a particular fly, I forget about the GP crest altogether. And sometimes I'll use polar bear for the belly, it looks great!

Happy winging,
Gary
Old 02-18-2011, 01:09 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Green Beauty - casting size

Beautiful fly, Gary...You do nice work...

Dan
Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Thanks, Dan. Labor of love and all that.
Best,
Gary
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

Gary..... verry beautiful tie is the hook size you are using still 6x long in maybe #6-4

Chris

The New Zealand Flysite

"the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD
Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 AM

Chris - yes, typically 6X long in sizes 4 & 6, occasionally 2. I jump around from company to company...Mustad, Daiichi, etc.