The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Odd Popper.....thing.....kinda...

I don't use poppers much but I was playing around with those Petijean Magic Cups and came up with a slightly different application. It is not what I would call a practical application, but I got so far in to making it work I sort of ended up spending alot of time on something I will never duplicate. Sti;; to provide a bit of humour here it is.
Click the image to open in full size.

With a head-on view
Click the image to open in full size.

The front is a magic cup, reinforced with deer hair, thread and 5 minute epoxy......don't ask I already know it was not practical, but hey it pops around like nobody's business!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:14 AM

flytyer56 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Odd Popper.....thing.....kinda...

That's one crazzzzzy looking popper you made there.
Then You're The One!!!!!
Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I actually like that popper. Might be hard to cast, but ought to draw a largemouth out of the deep. Thats one of the fun things about fly tying, I have hundrads of flies that I have tied just one of playing around, some look really good and others look like something out of a SiFi movie. One of the wildest ones was a Red-Winged Black bird, they sometimes fall in the water and I have heard BIG bass will swallow them, the dang fly was so big though you would have hade to use a 12wt to throw it lol. If I can find it I'll post a pic.
Bear
Old 07-16-2009, 10:52 AM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Thanks for the comments. Please do show us the blackbird! Bass and pike seem to love big awkward food, just casting a fly of the same size though may be a bit tough......dangerous even.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:51 PM

MrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the roughMrEsox is a jewel in the rough

But how does it pop. Id say I want one, but how does it pop. Not to bring you down, but the nose may be too indented. The popers and chuggers on the market today have a shallow cup or are just simply rounded off on the end. If you have too much of a cup water will not spit as well. Remember your wanting to move water not trap it. With that said, you have a great looking fly that may need a little going over and some small mods to make it a perfect poper. I have tried making popers for smb and have failed several times. foam popers and my fly rod dont get along. Go test it and get back to me on how well it spits and the amount of chatter it makes. The more chatter, the more water moved, the more commotion it makes often times will bring fish in best.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Re: Odd Popper.....thing.....kinda...

First you cannot bring me down and I report back to nobody.
The thing actually flips and tumbles well enough, it does not gurgle and as I mentioned it was a huge waste of time that got out of hand.
The fly makes a commotion but it needs weight added to it to make it actually sink in the water enough to gurgle. It would take pike up in the reeds but I have no intention of having it munched. I leave it hanging on my desk as a reminder of how far I should "not" go when experimenting with materials.
That being said I have a fly made out of puka shells........
Old 07-22-2009, 06:20 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

send me the black bird-----I fish a 12 wt...
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..