The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Tyer's Round Table > Share Patterns

Share Patterns List your favorite and selfmade fly patterns. Share with other tyers. Learn how to tie various flies...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pike streamers

Yummy!

Gar

Great looking flies. They'd work great in the salt here too i bet.

Some fish, like striped bass, tend to hit the front end of baitfish. In fact surfcasting with plugs, most tend to be hooked on the front treble (I usually remove the middle treble on plugs and replace the tail hook with a single Siwash.) I wonder if you've noticed this too with pike? I tend to tie on short shanked hooks for stripers, usually an Eagle Claw 254 (a SW hook). There is a lot less fouling of materials, and no problem with hook ups so far.

Other fish like bluefish- and trout to some extent-- often seem to nip at the tails and short strike, so streamers on longer shanked hooks (or stinger hooks) might be better for them. (???)

Very nice job!

mark
Old 08-14-2009, 01:46 PM

pikeflyguy2 is on a distinguished road

Great looking flies, and I like the idea of using circle hooks. Iím surprised they donít hold up better. In that vein, DiverDan keeps knocking my Marabou streamers, and in fact implying that Iím a liar.
Let's get something straight from my earlier post. First of all, I DID CATCH ABOUT 250 PIKE ON 6 MARABOU STREAMERS IN 4 DAYS! True, I had to retie the flies several times, and eventually cobble some down to make 4 good ones from 6, then 2 from 4, and finally, I was down to 1 good fly when my gear finally arrived. Despite Dan's opinion, a damaged marabou stream will still catch a lot of pike. Yes, the stems can break, but it happens less often then you my think. I carry heavy thread and cement and do repairs while under way to a new spot, tying on a new fly and letting that one harden. But if I've got a splash of red and at least 1 other wing feather, and some Flashabou (which doesn't easily get chewed off), I'll still out-fish most other patterns. Regardless of DiverDan's opinion, my marabou streamers regularly take 20 or more fish before needing major repairs, which as I said, can be done on the spot, while moving from one spot to another, if you wish. I agree with him that Epoxy is better than head cement, but in the field, cement may be all you have. I DO recommend epoxy when giving pattern recipes in the book.

Interestingly, 2 European Pike Flyfishing Blogs have posted excellent reviews on my book, and one concurs with my opinions about Marabou.
(see: http://pikeflyfishingarticles.blogsp...george_12.html).

And Dan, talk about "creative math?" If the stinger hook is in the corner of the mouth, it was likely the ONLY HOOK with a chance to stick the fish. If a fish totally inhales a fly and is hooked in the corner of the mouth, the first (main) hook would be the one engaged, NOT the stinger.

I'm not interested in a verbal battle with anyone. I've based my opinions and advice on over 20 years of flyfishing for pike and musky, and several tippet-class IGFA records. DiverDan has his own undoubtedly considerable experience. That's why Baskins & Robbins makes 31 flavors. He's entitled to his, and I don't degrade him for it. Too bad he doesn't feel the same way about me. If he only want to use Barry's Pike Flies, it is, in my opinion, his loss. I've tried them and they certainly catch fish, but I've found marabou more effective for me & less tiring to cast all day.

Another fine pattern for me is the Flashabou fly. Itís a simple fly, with a mylar tube body, some red marabou (there I go again), topped by a small bunch of fish hair or Puglisi fibers (white, yellow or chartreuse). Top that with a big bunch of pearl flashabou, as long as possible, and maybe some crystal flash. I like large tungsten barbell eyes, and youíll probably need a weedguard. Iíll try to attach a photo.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeflyguy2 View Post
Blah blah blah DiverDan blah blah implying that Iím a liar.

I DID CATCH ABOUT 250 PIKE ON 6 MARABOU STREAMERS IN 4 DAYS! blah blah True, I had to retie the flies several times, blah blah blah Yes, the stems can break, blah blah blah Regardless of DiverDan's opinion, my marabou streamers regularly take 20 or more fish before needing major repairs,
Buy my book buy my book buy my book And Dan, talk about "creative math?" Did I say it was in the corner of the Mouth? If a fish totally inhales a fly and is hooked in the corner of the mouth,Blah blah blah
I'm not interested in a verbal battle with anyone.
Stop starting them then.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
Unfortunately they only take a few fish before they are pretty chewed up. .
Looking at the materials in Gar's fly I'd bet they are tougher than Pike Fly Guy's. Nobody ever said a fly had to be tough to be a good fly though. If they catch the fish you are after it's a good fly. I like Gar's fly. They are big, light, shed water, and look like fish. What more could you want? They are tied well and look great. I happen to live in one of the best pike spots in N. America. Since Pike fly guy seems to have some sort of problem I have tied one of his mini feather dusters. I will let you know just how many fish it catches before it is damaged.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:08 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

Well this is kinda a necro post but since I started the thread thats ok. I have been refining the streamers a little lately. I wish Gam made orange and green hooks. I like the looks of the red hooks on the flies.
Click the image to open in full size.
Been out of bend-backs, so I tied a few more of them as well.

And proof my flies even work in Finland.
http://pikeflyfishingarticles.blogsp...kend-away.html
Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 AM

nav is on a distinguished road

For pike, I'm stuck on a pattern tied with bucktails of different colors + flashabou. It's called the "piker's point", created by a famous angler from Belgium (Guido Vinck).

It's almost indestructible and swims really well.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:45 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice looking flies Gar...

Dan
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM

ohtroutman is on a distinguished road

Gar -what are you using for a leader? How long? I've caught a few pike on while bass fishing with large bass flies but have never targeted them directly - I have had lots of cutoffs which undoubtedly are often small pike...
Old 09-09-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

Really nice looking flies Gar and Nav. Good photos. Your cameras both work better than mine for close up stuff.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

Troutman-
I use about a foot of 30 pound fluorocarbon. I double surgeon knot this to the leader and then use a loop knot to attach the fly. I tie this on to what ever leader is cheap at the store. I prefer 9 foot leaders that end in 15-20 pounds. I am not a short leader guy. I feel as though I get less strikes as the leader get close to 5 foot. But I also use a blaze orange pike taper which doesn't tend to be very natural looking on the water.